Your Change of Veiws | Teen Ink

Your Change of Veiws

By Elizabeth Story BRONZE, Park City, Utah
Elizabeth Story BRONZE, Park City, Utah

Do you know the true meaning of “People CAN change?” Well I’m sure you all have experienced it by now and if you haven’t then I’m sure you will some time in your life. This can be a good thing or bad thing. We are changing all the time! Whether it’s inside your body, your decision making, or outside of your body, etc.
You will notice over the years that maybe you have changed too. What’s changed about you? You will change.

In the book “Flowers from Algernon” Charlie is a handicapped guy who has an IQ of 68. He has a chance to triple IQ to an outstanding 204! In this book Charlie obviously changes by his thinking and thoughts. Although, that he changed by science. When Charlie was at a restaurant, after his operation, This other handicapped kid did something funny and it really wasn’t that funny but Charlie recognized that he was laughing at the poor kid too. Even though, he was once like that. Right their Charlie had the evil desire to think that.

Charlie states “I don’t want to do anything like that again.” (Keys 379) After the operation failed to stay. Charlie’s mind of thinking changed because before he was smart all he wanted to be is smart! Now after the operation he sees that when gained intelligence innocence is lost. He says “I’m glad I got a second chance to be smart because I learned a lot of things that I never even knew... I’m grateful that I saw it for a little bit.” (Keys 379) Charlie accepts who he is.

In Scott Westerfeilds book “Specials” Tally has been changing a lot in the trilogy. She’s become an Ugly to Pretty to Specials/Cutters etc. In this book they have operations to make them more perfect or change they way they are. “That was the thing about being a cutter. Everything was icy now.” (Westerfeild 4) Being a Cutter everything changes your point of view of the world. Instead of happy it makes you feel down most of the time. Have you noticed when you haven’t seen someone in a long time you think they have changed visa versa. This is what the main character, Tally Young Blood, was feeling “Young Blood. he said, smiling. “ You have changed.” This is what David’s father said to her. He saw her a long time ago when so was an Ugly and wanted to stay that way because there was something wrong about being a Pretty. In his eyes she’s different.

The theme really shines through the movie “Remember the Titans” They change their mind of thinking about blacks and whites. The highschool has been segregated for generations. A black and white school have to come together. The black coach was hired over the better white coach. “If we don’t come together right now we too will be destroyed... I don’t care if you like each other or not, but you will respect each other. And maybe we’ll learn to play this game like men.” (Coach Boone) If they come together they will probably change the perspective of everyone’s thinking and they will make a change for blacks and whites. This movie proves that blacks and whites are the same and they all have the same work ethic and through that they won the championship. This changed the people to like other races. That was a huge change in people. Here is an example of blacks and whites trying to work it out. “People say that Black and White can’t work, but here we make it work everyday. We still have our disagreements, of course everyone does but before we reach for hate, ALWAYS remember the Titans.” They made it so people view people through the soul not the look of him.

Here’s a time I remember. I remember when I was in first grade and I was best friends with this one girl. I think that people can change because as you grow up you will go different directions, have different interests, and meet new people. Ever since third grade, I met this girl who is now my best friend. When you grow up you know what your interests are and you tend to clique with the people who have the same interests. I remember when I was in first grade through fifth grade my old best friend and I would hang out all the time! But in sixth grade we were in a school with a bunch more people and we were in different colors. I don’t hang out with her anymore but I still like her. I’m sure when I go to college I’ll change and meet more people. People will adjust or act different than usual in life.

Keyes, Daniel. Flowers for Algernon. Prentice Hall Literature, Language, Literacy. Ed. J. Woodson. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson Education, 2010. 345-80.

Remember the Titans. Dir. Boaz Yakin. Perf. Denzel Washington and Will Patton. Jerry Bruckheimer Films and Walt Disney Productions, 2000. DVD.

Westerfeld, Scott. Specials. Vol. Final. New York: Simon Pulse, 2006. Uglies Trilogy

I wrote this piece in 8th grade and it's was probably the hardest essay I have ever written. My English teacher said that this was a very advanced essay for our grade.