Demolish Dress Codes | Teen Ink

Demolish Dress Codes

By bnokomis BRONZE, Wilmington, Massachusetts
bnokomis BRONZE, Wilmington, Massachusetts

"It's the little things in life."

90% of students at Washoe County School District in Northern Nevada said that they did not like the school uniforms. Millions of students want to wear whatever they want but are restricted by school dress codes. A lot of schools have their own personalized uniforms to enhance “school pride,” but there are multiple problems with sticking to the dress code. Although school uniforms allow students to express school pride and can contribute a better atmosphere, students should be able to wear what they want in order to freely express themselves and become comfortable; additionally, school dress codes unfairly impact female students than male students.

Many administrators require school uniforms because they claim uniforms promote school spirit and unity. Arnold Goldstein who is the head of the Center for Research on Aggression at Syracuse University claims “uniforms help troubled students feel they have the support of a community.” Forcing students to wear the same two or three items of clothing for school makes teens want to rebel. 81% of middle school students in “Long Beach California Unified School District” said uniforms did not reduce fights, 76% said they did not help them fit in at school, 69% said they did not make them feel more connected with the school community, and 71% said they felt no safer traveling to and from school. Although uniforms make students look more professional, not all teenagers enjoy wearing skirts with long socks and khakis as an everyday outfit. 

School dress codes prevent teenagers from expressing themselves. Teens at Wilmington High School are extremely lucky because the school does not prohibit most clothing. The high school is very laid back when it comes to their dress policy. On the other hand, schools like Austin Prep and Waldorf School of Lexington will not allow the simplest outfits to be worn. Austin Prep requires girls to wear chapel dresses, plaid skirts, and khakis which all must have their school logo. Girls cannot wear black leggings unless there is a skirt over them. The same rules apply to male students who must wear a polo shirt and khakis with their school logo. All students must wear one out of the two options for footwear- either boat shoes or Sperry shoes. It is outrageous to find out that sweatshirts, hoodies, full zip-up jackets, and scarves are not permitted while attending school. At Waldorf School of Lexington, there are numerous strict dress codes that prohibit black leggings, nail polish, writings or logos, short shorts, and no showing of the stomach.  

Administrators are extremely biased towards men than men when it comes to dress codes. Fourth-grade teacher named Marci Kutzer at Bertha Ronzone Elementary School in Las Vegas, Nevada says “while school boards couch dress codes as preparing students for the workplace and adult life, their real purpose is to prevent “distractions.” Women all over the world would oppose that statement. Girls wearing a skirt or spaghetti straps did not create a distraction, and when girls get sent down to the principal office to change they feel embarrassed. Why is it considered “athletic” when guys wear a tank top, but when a girl wears a tank top it is prohibited and scandalous. Imagine, you are at a local pep rally and a boy is shirtless with painted letters of his school on his stomach. Throughout the whole time being at the pep rally boys do not get judged or harassed. Yet if a girl is seen in a sports bra and the same letters painted on her stomach she is considered an “attention seeker” or “asking for it.” Events like this are seen everywhere in the world especially degrading women when they wear the same clothing boys wear. 

When students have to wear school uniforms and stick to a strict dress code they want to rebel constantly. Teenagers all over the world express themselves through their outfits choices. It is proven that if people wear stylish or comfortable clothes they will feel more confident, hence the quote “look good, feel good.” School uniforms present unity within the school, but also restrict freedom and comfort; dress codes also show bias towards men and women on what they choose to wear in their everyday life.