Spawn of the Night

Author's note: My own relationship that ended tragically when he passed away in a car crash inspired me as he...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: My own relationship that ended tragically when he passed away in a car crash inspired me as he always told me such tales. In remembrance of him, I wrote this out (as he always encouraged me to explore my inner "author"). Everybody deserves to have a look at his creativity. :')  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next »

Richard of Montevoy / Truth's out

Autumn of 1762, Lucinda Ashe

He was as good as his word. I was home; safe and sound. And I was to be married faster now. I hated it. I hated Richard. He was a horrible person in my mind even though I had never met him. The bottom line was that I missed Daryn..

I could still see him in my head. His dashing smile; his searching eyes; his easy laugh; his rich, velvety voice; his kisses... I was in love with him. And I knew he loved me too. He told me more than once. And there
Review!!!
were times when he had shown me in the way he would hold me tight, the way he’d look at me, and in the way he’d treat me. I missed him more than anything. Daryn, oh, Daryn..

“What’s wrong with you? You’ve been acting funny!” my mother hissed. “It’s nothing, Mother,” I replied. “It had better not be. You’re meeting Richard today and I want you to make a good first impression or you might lose him,” she pulled the comb roughly through my hair. I flinched but didn’t say anything. “Richard is a wonderful man. You’ll definitely love him. Or you’ll learn to. We heard he’s a gentleman, and not a ladies man. Though, I figure, lots of ladies want him.You should be proud to have him want to marry you. He’s been keen for some time now. He’s even pushed the wedding forward because he couldn’t wait. Don’t you think he’s perfect already?” she asked, obviously in dreamland. “Yes, Mama. Absolutely gorgeous,” I answered dutifully.

He was here. I watched from the window upstairs as my husband-to-be gracefully slipped out of the carriage and strode into the house to greet my father. A part of me told me something was wrong but I didn’t acknowledge it. My mother ushered me down in my best gown; my hair coiled up with tendrils falling as though ruffled by after passionate loving. I pasted a smile on my lips and prayed it would be over soon. When I opened the door, I froze. Heaven and hell collided and the sun seemed to swell and explode in the sky above me.

“Lucy,” he smiled, “so nice to meet you.” I stared in shock. “You look in shock, milady, would you like to sit?” he gestured to the chair. “Can I have a few minutes alone with Richard?” I asked and everyone filtered out of the room; the door was locked. I looked up at my bridegroom. Neither of us said anything. Silence was broken when he crossed the distance between us and pulled me into his arms. His mouth was warm and rough yet gentle and loving on mine. “Why didn’t you tell me?” I asked, my fingers digging into his hair to hold him there. “How could I?” Daryn answered. “Don’t let me go,” I begged and he pressed me against him, refusing to break his passionate kiss. I gasped when someone knocked on the door. He pulled his head up and asked softly, “Should I?” “Yes,” I pulled away, smoothing out my skirts and smiling at him. He swooped in for a quick kiss before unlocking the door. “Is everything okay in here?” my mother asked. “Yes. I think I’d like to spend more time with Lucinda; get to know her a little better,” Daryn stepped in. “Why, Richard, of course!” my mother seemed delighted. He took my hand in his and gently asked, “Would you care to spend the afternoon with me? A little picnic by the river perhaps?” I nodded, mesmerized by this new side of him.

“So, Richard of Montevoy...” I trailed off and he grinned. “Why didn’t you tell me?” I asked. “How was I supposed to tell the woman I love I double as a pirate and as her betrothed. You’d hate me,” he grin turned into a frown. “I would’ve understood,” I said. “Can we just go back to being the passionate lovers?” he sighed. “Not yet. Explain,” I demanded. “Look, sweetheart, I have my reasons for what I do. I’m selfish, stupid, rude, complacent and many other things but never lovable or kind or gentle or loving till I met you. You changed me. And I love you. Don’t push me away because of my duel profession. I can’t explain it now. All I know is that I never expected for any of this to happen. I always thought I’d just marry you and leave you alone while I did what I do. But now, I can’t stand being away from you,” he had taken my hands in his, pulled me close and was explaining as he pressed his body against mine, his cheek resting on my hair. “I’ll accept that for now,” I hugged him closer. Our bodies were perfectly molded together. All it took was his one breathless whisper to send me over the top. “I want you.”
It was like fireworks had exploded; the sun had crashed down to Earth. That was the power of his kiss. His fingers found my face and cupped my cheek gently to raise my face. I loved him more than anything. But I could feel him pushing against me and something snapped in my head. He could take me if he wanted to; I wouldn’t fight back, I couldn’t fight back. He was already pushing the kiss deeper and I could now feel him pressing into my belly. I gasped and pulled away. “Something wrong?” his eyes were a shade darker. “I’m not comfortable with you this close,” I whispered. He caught me by the the waist and pinned me against him, pressing so close that I could feel every inch of him; from brow to toes. “Too close?” he asked. My head was spinning and I couldn’t breathe.

“Lucinda, I intend to spend the rest of my life making this distance normal between us. I intend to love you forever and start a family with you one day,” he said and showered my face with gentle kisses. “A family?” I shuddered, remembering the times I watched women giving birth and their screams of pain. “I was thinking three,” he smiled. “Three?” I looked up into his eyes. “Children, Lucy,” he grinned. My knees buckled and he had to support me to stop me from falling to the ground. “Lucy? Are you alright? You’re faint and pale, Lucinda. Sit down,” he lowered me to the ground. HIs hands gently brought my knees up and wrapped my arms around my knees. “Head down,” he ordered as his hand gently pushed my neck forward. I buried my face in the cradle my legs created. “Relax. Breathe. What’s wrong? Talk to me,” his fingers stroked my hair. “I’m terrified. Everything’s happening so fast. I’m scared, Daryn,” I cried. “I can delay the wedding. I can go away for a while. Give you some time to think it through. And you’re still young, sweetheart. I’m still young. If having children scares you then we’ll wait. Just don’t make me wait too long,” he comforted me by puling me into his embrace and kissing my hair. “Daryn, it’s not that you need to go away, it’s that I’m scared,” I sobbed. “Sweetheart, no matter what happens, I’m willing to wait. As long as you need. Take your time,” he soothed. “Thank you, Daryn. I only have one more problem,” I wiped my tears. “What?” he asked. “I don’t think I’ll ever get around to calling you Richard,” I smiled miserably. He laughed, deep and throaty, “I don’t think so either!”

3 weeks later...

I hated the fact that Daryn had left for awhile. I was terrified for his safety and I missed him selfishly. He had left with not so much as a goodbye. A man had appeared one afternoon while we were lazing about by the meadows and whisked him away with the simple words of “Sir, we found something.” I had waited that evening for him to return but there was no sign of him. The only I found out he was gone was when a messenger delivered a scrap of paper containing his simple message:

I will return home as soon as possible. I am terribly sorry. I miss you already.
Love,
Richard.

I was so angry with him. How dare he leave just like that? Who did he think he was? But then, it hit me. This was him. He would always leave like that when his crew needed him. He would always leave messages signed Richard. He would never tell me where he was going or what he was doing. I would always worry for him and it wouldn’t bother him since he was so used to being away for so long.
I cried and cried that night. My mother knew I was pining for ‘Richard’. She was glad I loved him. But she wasn’t happy that I missed him so much. “Learn to pick up after him. If Richard leaves, you have to run the household. What good is a lovesick girl to the lords?” she would grumble and I would cry more.

Winter of 1762

He was home! My heart and body sang with joy! Daryn walked up to me and pulled me into a solid hug. I inhaled deeply; the scents of salty air, wood and musk filled my nose. “I missed you,” I rained kisses on his face and hands. “I love you. I missed you too,” he muttered into my hair. He didn’t seem to care what he was saying. His mind was somewhere else. My heart broke. He wasn’t even bothered that I was welcoming home after so long. “Daryn, is something wrong?” I asked. “Sorry. I have matters to attend to,” he pushed me away from him and strode into the house to see my father. I watched, my mouth slightly open from shock. Did he not miss me too?

That night at dinner, he sat opposite me as the bridegroom-to-be. I watched him but he was far away. When he looked up, he didn’t seem to see me. Finally, I gave in and stopped trying. After dinner, I just stalked up to my room without bothering about him. He caught my arm as I made my way up the stairs. “Lucy, I want you,” he said. I was disgusted by his behavior and slapped his hand away. “Lucy?” he asked, confused. I was angry and hissed, “Do you think it’s alright for you to come in here, treat me like I’m invisible then suddenly, when your lust flares up, look for me? No. I’m not an object, Richard.” “Luce? You never call me Richard,” he was taken aback. “You will never understand!” I tore from him and ran to my room, hitching up my skirts. He was still standing there when I finally slammed my door shut.

The next morning, I heard a knock on my door. I pulled my nightdress close and opened the door. Daryn slipped in without permission and locked the door. “What do you want?” I asked. “To wish you a good morrow. ‘Tis a lovely morning. Would you care for a walk with me later on after you’re done dressing?” he smiled, his eyes taking in everything. “No, I would not care for a walk with you,” I said haughtily. “What have I done to upset you?” he sighed. “You came home yesterday, Daryn. I missed you so much. I wanted you to look at me; to tell me you love me or that you missed me. But you didn’t. And that hurt. It was as though you had forgotten our love. You didn’t even care when I tried to entertain you during dinner,” I explained. “I am sorry. I was busy in my head. I was calculating a new strategy for Colt. Sweeting, I could never forget how much I love you. It’s etched into my heart,” he took my hands in his and bestowed soft kisses on each fingertip. “It had better be. We’re to be married in less than two weeks, Daryn. Please take this seriously,” I sighed. “Of course. Anything for my bride,” mischief danced in his eyes. “Now, out! I’m still in my nightdress!” I clutched the fabric close to my skin. “My Lady,” he bowed but when he straightened, he grinned, “wear red. I like it when you wear red. And tug your corset down a little. Not too much, but just a little.” “Oh, shush!” I pushed him out and closed the door .

I did exactly what he wanted and twined my hair up in a loose bun. His eyes darkened with desire when I stood before him. “Daryn, is this alright with you?” I asked. “God, yes. Come here,” he opened his arms to me and I slipped in comfortably. I was perfectly content in his embrace till my mother walked in and announced that the wedding plans were done. I knew I was pale now. Daryn stroked his fingers over my cheek, “Breathe, Lucinda. I’m here for you.” “I know. But I’m scared,” I shuddered. “Don’t be. Just you and me forever. Think only of me. Here and now,” he ordered and I obliged. I was falling into a comfort zone I knew was dangerous. It was even more dangerous when I felt him mold my hips to his and his lips brushed my shoulder. But my body didn’t respond to my control and my head fell back with a sigh. His arm slowly coiled itself around me and his fingers brushed the strings of the corset. I gasped as he ran his finger higher to the top of the corset till he was caressing the skin on top of it. “Daryn,” my voice showed my fear and excitement. “Shhh, it’s alright,” his lips caressed my neck; his teeth grazing. I whimpered and wondered if this was the sort of pleasing torture that some girls sold their souls for. Something snapped in my head and I found the strength to pull away. He looked up at me, “Lucy? Did I do something wrong?” “That was wrong, Daryn! We can’t!” I protested. “I know it’s wrong now. But I just couldn’t help myself,” he smiled sheepishly. “Please, Daryn, I’m not comfortable this way,” I clutched my hand around my throat to force the words out. He lost his smile and nodded his head, “If you say so.” I felt horrible seeing him look so flustered. “Daryn, it has nothing to do with you,” I said. “Richard. you chould call me Richard while we’re still here. I need to return to my estate. I’ll see you when I get back,” he said flatly. “You’er leaving again, aren’t you? When will you come back?” I asked, my heart aching. “In time for our bloody wedding,” he said it through his teeth. I closed my eyes as he stormed out from the room. “If you don’t want to marry me, you don’t have to,” I muttered to the empty room.

efuf said...
really very nice

harleyoshea said...
Jun. 18, 2012 at 11:31 am:
why cant i read your full book

harleyoshea said...
Jun. 15, 2012 at 10:47 pm:
this is wonderful!!!!!!

ClaireHaydens replied...
Jun. 16, 2012 at 2:49 am :
thanks dude :D