First Day

Author's note: I hope to share my experiences with the readers through this second novel, to establish a deep...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: I hope to share my experiences with the readers through this second novel, to establish a deep connection bound with memories and/or current experiences in life that relate to my own.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 Next »

Acceptance

My sight has always been irrelevant in my life. It has always been a part of me, and I have never and will never let it get in my way. So what if my eyes don't work? I have ears that can listen, nostrils that can smell and flare, vocal chords that can move to create words and sounds, and hands with which to feel and identify.

Although this is true for me, many people see it as a handicap. Many people do not get the consept that I am a perfectly capable human being and no one is superior to me due to the fact that their eyes work and mine simply do not. You were different.

I poured my heart out about it, told you to ask any questions you had. You did, and you excepted me and understood me.

You asked about my white cane, and I explained what it is used for: to find obstacles when I am walking so that I can avoid them by sweeping it in a wide arc.
----------13
Both you and my cousin set me loose to demonstrate. Each time I came close to running into a door or hitting my head on a metal barrier, my ears rang with the unison repetition. "watch out!"

I would always respond with a bursting laugh of reassurance.

"If you want me to use my cane, I have to find things myself. I am not gona die you guys, its okay."

Neither of you were comfortable with me walking solo, so I took your arm once more wearing a smile of amusement upon my face.

Long after midnight, I lay gathering my thoughts and making my decision. I knew from the second you handed me that cup of PepC, it was meant to be, at least for me.
----------14

This book has 1 comment. Post your own now!