First Love

Author's note: My greatest hopes for this novel are to establish a connection with the readers. I want the...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: My greatest hopes for this novel are to establish a connection with the readers. I want the readers to be able to relate, to be able to dig up those buried memories and relive them, or to be able to agree with my experiences if they are feeling the same way about something or someone.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next »

When I Met You

Prologue
Before and after, crushes past. You were not my first, nor my last. Lying to myself, pretending for me. Heart glowing bright red upon my fabric sleeve. Agile and fragile, strong and true. All of this was true, all before I met you.

My heart soared higher and still high. You were and are the one who makes it fly. You are beautiful and worthy the way you are. Handsome and charming is your personality by far.
----------3

Cautious with every step I take toward you. My feelings shine upon my natural expression. In your hand, there lies my sky so blue. On your sleeve, my heart glows just for you.
----------4

Chapter One: When I Met You

One warm breezy day, September 25, 2010. I can recall and always will cherish the day when I met you. I think of it often, hold it close to my heart and set it free in my mind to return to my thoughts and brighten my day when nothing is going right.

I reclined in a plastic lawn chair overcome with boredom, my face empty and expressionless. Nothing to do but tune in as if I were the narrator of a movie. The piercing screams and laughter of the rambunctious children prancing around and riding scooters, the upbeat Spanish rhythms to which the adults danced and talked. I was an outsider occasionally speaking when spoken to, but other than that, I did nothing but lean back and close my eyes, submerged in my endless thoughts and memories. Entranced and slipping away into my own world until I was dragged back to reality.

"Do you want something to drink?"

One of the adults handed me a paper plate on which sat a freshly grilled cheeseburger with Ketchup.

"Sure!"
I replied before biting into the tender meat and bread.
----------5

Not too far away, I could hear distinctly the voices of older kids my age, but unable to decide if they were boys or girls, I didn't know that one of them was you.

"This man right here will take care of you."

I thought absolutely nothing of it as I accepted a juice pouch from someone else before you strolled over to me, cup of Pepsi in hand.

"Do you still want the soda?"

"Sure!"

I offered a friendly warm smile before you walked away. My only wish was to be taken from this world of boredom and back to life: to do something exciting rather than pacing around or sitting down twiddling my thumbs.

"Are you bored?"

My aunt notices everything, I've always been predictable just by my facial expressions.

"Yes."

"Do you want to go for a walk with your cousin?"

"Yeah."

The thought of walking around the block alone with only my cousin gave me the creeps. Lord knows who walked the streets at night. I got used to it though.
----------6
Aside from the random cars that mysteriously slowed down when we passed them on the sidewalk, I was override with tranquility by the gentle breeze that kissed my cheeks as lightly as the flutter of a butterfly's fragile wings. I smiled again, slightly puzzled when my cousin asked you,

"You wanna come?"

We walked side by side and talked for the rest of the party. It wasn't until midnight when we finally went inside to get some sleep.

I saw you the next day when you climbed into my aunt's mini van. Your compassion, your sense of humor, your maturity, your mentality, everything about you. There's no one else out there that would ever compare, no one else like you.