Darkest Night

Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 Next »

Enter

Wow, I thought to myself, as I looked out my bedroom window. It was raining heavily and it looked beautiful. I loved listening to the pitter-patter of the rain drops. I smiled and turned back to face my room. Dang, it was a mess in here, but what do you expect from a fourteen year old? Did you expect it to be immaculate? No. Dirty? Bingo. I sighed as I picked up one of my black t-shirt sloppily thrown on the floor. Ew. I scrunched my nose when I first got a whiff of that disgusting smell. Apparently, my little black puppy, Twilight, did her business on my shirt. Twilight was a little Australian Sheppard, an adorable one too. I looked around for a black blob; she was laying down on another one of my shirts. “Twilight!” I yelled, stomping over to her. I held my shirt up to her nose and held her so she won’t escape. “Bad girl, bad!” She let out a cute whimper and I couldn’t be mad at her, even though she did poop on my shirt. After all, it was kind of my fault she wasn’t trained. I sighed again and picked her up with my free hand. “I’m sorry girl, it’s my fault too, isn’t it?” She let out a whimper which I took as her agreeing with me. I kissed her head and set her down on my purple bedspread, on the ground, instead of my bed. Yeah, I know, sad isn’t it? I picked up some more clothes, then I heard some stomping. My door slammed open and I swear I jumped a few feet into the air.
“Jamie, what’s that horrid smell?” My big sister, Erin, asked, holding her nose. I rolled my eyes and pointed towards Twilight, who was already asleep on my bedspread. “Potty train that dog.” Erin said, putting her hand on her hip. “She’s yours and you have to train her.”
“Oh please, like Ici is any better.” I shrugged. She glared at me, but I wasn’t fazed by her. Then a big, fluffy, white dog came prancing in.
“Ici is better, isn’t that right?” Erin turned and kissed Ici and she barked. Ici is my sister’s Pyrenees.
“Whatever.” I turned away from them and looked back outside.
“So, are you packing for school?” Erin’s voice surprised me. I glanced at her and smiled. “Lemme guess, no.” Her face fell and she plopped down on my bed. “Hurry up. Nyhtstarr Academy won’t wait for you, Jamie.”
“Okay, okay.” I replied, still staring outside at the rain. I heard her sigh and stand up again.
“Oh, and Jeremiah won’t wait for you, Jamie.” She added. I spun around on my heel and glared at her. “He’s downstairs waiting for you.” Se smirked and walked out, closing the door behind her.
“Why didn’t you tell me earlier!?” I yelled through the door. I rushed to get my things ready. “Stupid sister.” I muttered as I threw random clothes into my suitcase. I scratched Twilight’s head and kissed her once more. “Sorry, Twilight, but hey, since Nyhtstarr is so close to home, I can come see you anytime.” I said. “I hear some kids came from Italy and Australia.” I whispered into her little ear. She whined once more and I marched out of the room, dragging my suitcase. I walked downstairs and saw Jeremiah and all his bags on the couch. Jeremiah was my childhood friend and boyfriend. He was a year older than me, so he should’ve already started Nyhtstarr, but he wanted to go with me, so he waited a year. Sweet, I know.
“Jamie, where were you?” Jeremiah asked, walking over to me and taking my bag. “Wait, I know, you were probably watching the rain, right? I know how much you love it.” I smiled at him.
“Correct.” I answered, waiting for him to grab some of his bags. “Sorry for making you wait, Erin didn’t tell me you were here.”
“Not my fault.” Erin came walking in from the kitchen and she was holding a bagel. “Here, you need to eat.” She handed me the bagel and I took a bite. “Now, make sure to visit, okay?” She hugged me and I kissed her cheek. Jeremiah opened the door and ran outside with our luggage to put in the car. I looked at Twilight and kissed her again.
“Watch Twilight for me.” I instructed. Erin rolled her eyes and picked Twilight up. “Make sure to feed her. I’ll be home whenever I can to check up on her.” I smiled and waved at them. Then I turned and walked out into the rain. As soon as that rain hit me, I could tell it was going to be a good day. I opened the passenger side door and got in. Jeremiah finished putting our bags in and he got into the driver side. He started up the car and we smiled at each other.
“Are you scared, Jamie?” He asked, sweetly. I giggled and buckled my seat belt.
“’Course not.” I replied. Yes, I was scared. I heard it was a dangerous school, but everyone says I should be fine because I am one of the strongest creatures there, plus I have Jeremiah to protect me. I mean, he’s a half breed, so he has two powers, and let me tell you, it just makes him stronger. See, I’m a purebreed werewolf, while Jeremiah is a magician and a dragon. Let me tell ya, there are few dragons in this world, and it’s super rare to see one. And that whole thing about dragons just breathing fire isn’t even true. Dragons breath the element they are most in sync with. Jeremiah’s element, ice.
“Really? You seem to be shaking.” Jeremiah said, putting his cold hand on my shivering arm. Jeremiah is usually cold because of his element, but it’s nice when he’s actually warm. “It’s okay to be scared. I’m a bit nervous myself.” He said as he took his hand back and started the car.
“You’re scared?”
“I said I was nervous, not scared. Guys get nervous. Girls get scared. It‘s almost the same thing, but a little different.” He teased. I laughed and looked towards the rain.
“Today’s going to be a good day. Rain always predicted a good day for me.” I muttered. Jeremiah pulled out of our driveway and started driving towards Nyhtstarr, which was just across town from us. I lived by Liberty Park and Lake in Lawton, Oklahoma. Nyhtstarr Academy was in the rich neighborhood in Lawton, Oklahoma. So, it was across town. “Rain…”
“Yeah, if you were a creature that required an element, I’m sure yours would be water.” Jeremiah laughed. I smiled and shrugged.
“I guess, but if I had and element, I’d want air or ice. I love both. Well, you can only have ice if both air and water choose you, huh?” I asked and looked at him.
“Yup, what can I say, I’m just blessed.” He said. We laughed and looked outside again. I looked at him and pouted.
“Why do you get to drive?” I asked.
“I’m older than you.”
“By one year. I wanna drive.” I pouted, crossing my arms. He smiled.
“I’m still older and no you can’t. The cops won’t pull me over because my sister talked with them about me driving.” He laughed.
“What did your sister do to them?” I asked, leaning towards him. He glanced at me and shrugged.
“Just your average brain-washing.” Jeremiah shrugged and I laughed at him. “Yeah, she didn’t want any tickets, so she marched down to the police office and brain-washed them telling them that it’s okay for me to drive without my license.” I shook my head.
“What would your parents think…?” I murmured. Jeremiah and I were both orphans, along with our older sisters. Our parents each were assassinated. So, I guess you could say we all became one big family. Jeremiah, Erin, Leah, and me, but Jeremiah and I aren’t like siblings, we’re more like a married couple.
“Hey, my dad did the same thing for his little sister.” Jeremiah said. “I’m sure it’s fine, I mean, I am a careful driver anyway.”
“Yeah, but…”
“It’s fine, Jamie. Nothing to worry about.” He shrugged and I sighed. “We’re almost there, Jamie.” I nodded and looked out into the damp day.
“Jeremiah, we’ll get through this together, won’t we?” I asked, not looking at him. I could feel his eyes looking at me every now and then, between me and the road.
“Of course, we do everything together.” Jeremiah replied. I felt relieved. “We’ll never be separated, no matter what, right?” I looked at him and smiled.
“Right.” I answered. Jeremiah was the most important person in my life. We rode up to a gate and Jeremiah flashed a card at the guard and he let us in. We drove around the grounds for a while, looking for a place to park. “Jeremiah, I love you.” I muttered. We pulled into a parking space and he looked at me.
“I love you too, Jamie.” He replied and leaned over and kissed me. I blushed as he got out of the car. “I’ll get the bags, go on ahead into the Office and get our rulebooks and room numbers.” I nodded and stepped out.
“Which way is the office?” I asked. He looked up and looked around.
“It should be that way.” He pointed towards the North and I nodded. “I’m sorry, I’m not sure either, but I think it’s that way.”
“Okay, I’ll find it eventually.” I shrugged and started walking towards the North. I held out my hand and let the rain drops hit me. I looked around and a tall dark building painted black had the word Office painted on it with white paint. The building had little window, but it looked really clean and new. I open the double glass doors and walked up to the marble desk. Dang, this school looked really nice already. The office had a big fountain in the middle of it with tons of white couches around it. Not only that, but it had an elegant chandelier hanging from the ceiling.
“May I help you?” A perky voice surprised me. No one was at the desk a minute ago. I looked at the desk and a small girl in a fancy uniform was smiling at me.
“Um, I came to get my and my friend’s rulebooks.” I said. She looked at the black computer on the desk and back at me.
“Name please.”
“My name is Jamie Wolfe. My friend is Jeremiah Dragonheart.” I said. I heard some typing and a small click. Then the printer started working.
“So you come from the great Wolfe family. I hear it’s the strongest werewolf tribe in the world.” The lady said. I jumped and studied her. “Oh, where are my manners, my name is Vanessa Weatherford. I am a fairy with the element of lightning.” She smiled a warm smile and I smiled back. Now that she mentioned it, her hair was blonde with some spikes here and there. Plus her eyes were the color of a rainy cloud. You could defiantly tell her element was lightning. “I’m a teacher here, but I’m just doing this office thing for a little extra money. I teach Climate Impotency.” She said. Then she laughed a polite laugh. “But, you won’t need that class. It’s more for fairies and elves.” She grabbed the papers that printed and handed me our rules. She set a paper on the desk. “Here you are now, the dorms are to the way South of campus.” She used a pen and traced a way towards the dorms. She handed me the map and then handed me two papers with keys. “These are your dorm keys and if you lose them, just come ask me and I’ll print you a new one, but the price for another one is running 100 laps on the field in your human form.” I flinched and sighed. I’m bad at running, in my human body. “You, Ms. Wolfe, will have two roommates, while your boyfriend, Mr. Dragonheart, will have one. Any questions?” Where was the cafeteria? Why 100 laps? Do you have to run in your human form? Why was the office so fancy? When will I get my class schedule? Why do I get two roommates? How did she know Jeremiah was my boyfriend?
“Nope. Thank you, Ms. Weatherford.” I grabbed the papers and waved good bye to the kind teacher. I walked out of the office and back towards Jeremiah’s car. “Okay, Jeremiah.” He looked at me and I pointed South. “Dorms are that way.” We started walking towards the dorms together.
“Do we get roommates?” He asked.
“Yup, you get one, and I get two. Oh yeah, she gave us keys and she says if we need another copy we need to run 100 laps to get a new one.”
“Ah, I see.” Jeremiah laughed. I looked at him and grabbed three of my bags. “Jamie, don’t.”
“Please, Jeremiah, I see you’re struggling.” I said. “Don’t worry.” We both saw huge mansion shaped buildings with tons of windows and even a little garden in the front.
“Wow, this must be the girls’ dorm.” Jeremiah said. “Only they’d have a garden and a mansion shaped house.”
“It’s so pretty!” I squealed. “Wow, a garden, so cute.” I giggled and ran over to the gate and looked inside. “I wonder what the guys’ dorm looks like.” I looked to the left and it was another mansion, but outside was an orchard with fresh fruit. “Gardens are better than orchards.” I teased him. He laughed.
“To you. Fresh fruit is at least better than sweet smelling flowers.” He answered. “Well, I’m going to look at my room. I’ll meet you at the dining hall later, okay?” I nodded and kissed him. Then I handed him his dorm papers and his key.
“Okay then. Bye bye.” I said, taking my bag from him and waving with my free hand. He walked towards his dorm and I stared at mine. I really hope I had a friendly roommates. I sighed and walked into the mansion.
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 Next »

This book has 1 comment. Post your own!

emolover95 said...
I think that this is a really good idea. Just reading your summary made me want to read the book. You write like a true author. I would really be interested in reading a book like the one you just described. It has enough of an attraction to the supernatural as well as some new twists in the right direction. Please don't tell me it's a love story with a vampire. Anything but a vampire. Anyway, i think you have a creative mind and that you should definitely continue with this story. I'm anxiously... (more »)