Ireland's Call

Author's note: I am in love with love stories. I wanted to write one of my own and also include my love of...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: I am in love with love stories. I wanted to write one of my own and also include my love of Ireland and the Irish people.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11 Next »

The Happy Couple

Monday rolled around and the alarm clock buzzed at a half past five. James reached over and silenced the clock.
 “Mmmmm...,” groaned Danielle as she elongated and stretched her body.
  James made his way to the end of their bed. He wandered into the cold bathroom and twisted the shower knob to the left. He pulled the faucet latch up, and stuck his hand under the spraying cold water as it slowly faded to hot. Danielle pulled herself out of bed and drug her feet down the short hallway
This chapter tells about the couple and it's basically the intro to the book.
and into the kitchen where she poured some water into the coffee pot and pressed the on button.
While listening to the sound of the water boiling into a cascade of steam, the coffee dripping into the pot, and the shower running, it reminded her of the first time she stayed over at his apartment.
 James and Danielle were high school sweethearts but broke up after graduation. Danielle made a living working for her fathers’ catering business as a waitress.  James went off to college to be an emergency room doctor. They were reunited two years later when James graduated with his Associates and Danielle’s father’s company was asked to cater James’ graduation party. They began seeing each other again, dated for a little under a year, and were married in August of 2004. They had a plan to have children right away. James was already working in the medical field as well as going to school for his Bachelors Degree, Danielle was going to stay home and care for the baby. But after several pregnancy tests over their first few years of being married, tensions began to grow between them. James wanted a family; Danielle wanted to give James everything that he dreamed of. The constant negative tests put a strain on their relationship; the plan was just not going the way that James and Danielle had originally thought out.
James got out of the shower and Danielle leaned back, grasping the counter, to see him in their bedroom drying his hair with the towel and nothing but bare skin showing. Danielle pulled herself back to the counter and poured James a cup of coffee adding one quarter of a cup of mint chocolate truffle creamer, James’ favorite. A few minutes passed and James appeared in the kitchen, tying his tie, grabbed his cup of coffee, kissed Danielle on the cheek, and left for work. Danielle finished her cup of coffee and began her day of chores. James leaving immediately had used to bother her, but over the years she got used to it, and never really expected much more from him in the mornings.
  She headed into the bedroom to make the bed. She pulled all four pillows off and set them on the floor and then stripped the comforter off. She straightened out and tucked the edges of the flat sheet under the outside of the mattress. Then she topped the sheet with the heavy down comforter and perfectly placed each pillow in its dedicated spot at the head of the bed. A load of light clothes was thrown into the wash, and she made her way into the bathroom. She sprayed the mirror with the strong scented blue Windex and wiped it down. In the kitchen she loaded the dinner dishes from the night before into the dishwasher and swept the floor. The carpets were vacuumed and the shelves dusted. She jumped into the shower and out quickly, got dressed, and headed into town. Another day wandering the town, wondering if things were always going to be this lonely between her and James.
Seattle was busy at this time, one in the afternoon meant lunchtime, and everyone was out searching for that one meal that they’d been craving all morning. It didn’t help that Christmas was just around the corner and everyone was doing last minute shopping. Danielle headed to her favorite coffee shop on the corner of 4th and Aurora, while James sat in the waiting room of his doctor’s office. Forty minutes went by and the nurse called him back. He undressed and slipped on the tacky gown. James sat on the edge of the cold gray table, swinging his feet back and forth; weighing all of the possibilities of why he could be sick. Waiting, for what felt like hours, James sat restlessly in his room listening to footsteps and voices coming from the in the hallway outside of the door. The doctor came in and let out a couple of deep, lengthy breaths. He huffed a little and cleared his throat before he began to speak.

alex198 said...
Apr. 29, 2011 at 9:06 am:
Awww....that was such a sweet story. I loved how it started really sad and then she met Gabe and things just kept getting better from there :) I felt sorry for James though, maybe you could do another story about him and have him find someone new too, and survive his deadly disease of course :) Anyway I LOVED it!

GLee_LuverThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Dec. 6, 2011 at 12:56 pm :
Yo, Alex, spoiler alert!