The warrior | Teen Ink

The warrior

By Ravenwood555, Ayden, North Carolina
Ravenwood555, Ayden, North Carolina

"If the going gets hard keep going"

Author's note:

this is a story of life and death friend turned fo lover turned warrior.

I woke with a start as I heard the sound of footsteps coming down the stairs I looked up. It was a man with broad shoulders and a dark brown beard I looked into his eyes they were as dark as coal a shudder went down my spine making me huddle closer to the corner of my cell. As he stared at me knew that I had to show no fear. I got to my feet and spoke trying my hardest to show that I was not afraid " who are you and why am I here ". The man spoke in a low and scratchy voice " your mother hired me to kill you, you should be grateful that I spared your life now you must do something for me" The man smiled and told me I am to be the bride of his second brother. I stepped back "NO" I shouted, "I won't be a concubine for some outlaw". The man's face became dark and grime he slammed against my cage door I let out a scream as he shouted: "you will marry my brother and you will do it tonight". The man stomped away I fell to the ground crying why is this happening to me I wept till I fell into a deep sleep my sadness overwhelmed me It was no surprise that my stepmother would have me killed she has hated me since I was young and she always wanted me gone so my sister could be first. I had woken with a heavy weight on my chest gasping for breath I opened my eyes I saw that the man from last night had his big smelly foot on my chest "get off now" I shouted with the breath I had collected He lifted his foot I gasped for a breath the cold man threw a kimono onto me "change" he said in a low and level voice. I looked at the kimono it was red and white the kimono looked beautiful and expensive "where did you get this" I asked in an amazed voice "I stole it" he smirked as though stealing it is such a vast accomplishment. I looked at the man "can you leave so I may change" the man's smirk widened why should I, you are women In my home why should I do as you ask what does he mean to make me change Infront of him. I turned around to change but he grabbed my arm and pulled me back that was the last straw I yelled at him "let me change in pease what do you think I am a brothel worker because I can tell you I am not" his face grew dark and grim I thought I would be killed right there but he turned and left without another word. following minutes, a boy not much older than my younger brother came in to tell me that the wedding was to start. I must come I didn't want to start a fuss for I'm sure there were more men up there strong enough to catch me so I calmly followed the boy knowing this would be the end of my life. after the wedding, I was dragged to a new room where my alleged husband was waiting for me the man was well built with quite a pleasant beard but he was shirtless "can you please put your shirt back on now" he started staring at me I felt very uncounterable "why should I put a shirt on you are my wife after all also" he walked closer till I could feel his breath on my neck " I own you, you do as I say not the other way around now what is your name" I gulped this man was very intimidating. he touched my skin ever so gently "my name is Kira Kiyoko and what is yours may I ask" he turned away his back facing me "you may not ask me anything however I will grant this one request my name is Tama Taro". At least he is nice enough to tell me his name now that we are married what are we to do at that moment it felt like my life flashed before my eyes as Taro's hand grabbed me and pulled me onto the bed him landing on top of me "what are you doing " I asked in my trembling and fearful voice "what do you mean we are married aren't we" The night dragged on as though it would never end.