The Life of my Break Up | Teen Ink

The Life of my Break Up

By AshleeStephens23, Warsaw, Indiana
AshleeStephens23, Warsaw, Indiana

Author's note:

This piece can be emotional 

Can be emotional 

It was a normal seventh grade Tuesday school day. I was getting ready to  eat lunch with my boyfriend, Kayden,and his friend Brayden in the cafeteria at Lakeview Middle School waiting to be dismissed from the table to go and get our lunch by Mr.Wilson.  When you first walk into the cafeteria you’ll see a lot of seventh grade students that are super excited to eat lunch and get to talk and hangout with their friends and eat. I was excited for lunch because we were having pepperoni pizza rippers, watermelon, corn or green beans, and milk. I was thinking that I had to be the first one to get in line so that I could get the fresh pizza rippers so that it wasn’t all cold by the time I got to eat it. I was also thinking that maybe I should go and see what was wrong with my best friend. For the fact that she was crying and no one was paying attention to her. Then my thoughts were interrupted with something very sad that happened to me. Right as I was thinking to myself that I should go and see what was wrong with my used to be best friend, Kayden was also disappointed. When he looked at me and said “ Sweetie do you still like me?” I was so confused. I knew that something was up and that something was going to end up happening.

I looked at him, “Why would you even ask me that?”

He looked at me confusingly and that’s when I knew something was up.

“Not to be rude or anything but, we’re through,” Kayden said.

He broke up with me! I was very upset and confused. I had no clue what was going on. “ Whatever,” I retorted.

I asked him why. Someone had lied to him and instead of him asking me if it was true he just broke up with me which really hurt my feelings. I felt like I didn’t deserve to have him anymore. Someone fed him lies just so that he would break up with me. He told me that one of my used to be friends told him. That really hurt me and that really hurt him. I retorted, “My used to be friend is just trying to get back at me because I wouldn’t be her friend anymore because she was, and still is, a bad influence on me.”

I asked him, “What all did she say to you”.

He looked at me and said, “She told me that you don’t like me, you never have liked me, and that you’re just using me for a cover up for something, and that our relationship has always been fake. She also told me that you told her to go out with me because your going to break up with me anyway and that you don’t know what you want anymore.”

I yelled, “That's all lies! I promise! She’s just acting like a little kid making up lies to get you to break up with me like a little kid would do! Her little games with you obviously worked.” So, I walked away and went and sat with somebody else because I couldn’t deal with all of it at once. I asked another boy if he wanted to go out with me and he said yes. We only dated for like two or five minutes total.

It was the next day in the cafeteria and I decided to sit with some of my real friends that I know actually care about how I feel. That I can tell them everything that I want to or that I need to get off of my chest so that I don’t feel like I’m holding everything in. It felt like I had a bunch of weight on my chest that I just had to carry around without telling anybody about them. I felt good after I had told my true friends what was going on and how I felt and what made me feel that way.

Kayden asked me if I wanted to go back up with him. He’d said, “ I promise if something like this happens to us again, that I’ll ask for your side of the story as well next time instead of just jumping to conclusions. As well as not just believing what everybody tells me.” I was thinking that maybe I should tell him what I expect from him if he wants a second chance with me because I’m not going to let him break heart again. I was still feeling very frustrated with Kayden because he believed my used to be friend of me and I’m his girlfriend and he has nothing to do with my used to be friend. Kayden doesn’t even actually know my used to be friends or my current friends.

I said, “ I will give you one more chance and if you mess up this time, then you will have no more chances with me and I promise you that.” I told him how I felt and what I wanted him to be like if he wanted a second chance. I think that he’s afraid of losing me now because he isn’t acting like his normal self since this happened. So, we are now back together and he hasn’t messed up once.

In the beginning of the story Kayden and I’s hearts were broken because of one of my used to be friends. But, towards the end of the story Kayden and I got back together. Kayden and I are still a happy couple and I hope that it last for the rest of our lives because I really like him and I feel like we should be together forever.  Remember you can’t always believe what other people say as well as also remember there’s always more than one side to a story and you can't believe what everybody tells you.