Moving In | Teen Ink

Moving In

Author's note:

I love horror. I am a huge fan of anything horror. I like the feeling of being scared. I love writing as well.

Moving In

5 October 2017

January 15, 2017-
I’m finally starting a journal. Weird, huh? Yeah. I know. Here’s a little bit about myself. We just moved to Miami from Jacksonville. I don’t miss anything from there ( especially not the people) except the animal shelter. Anyways, we moved here because my mom got a job here for interior designing. After my dad left us for some college girl, she needed it. I don’t hate my dad because, well,  he’s my dad but that doesn’t mean I have to like what he did, either. I don’t get it. My mom is gorgeous. She is always neat and dresses the way a mom should. She has short, reddish brown hair that is cut into a pixie style. She totally rocks it. Yeah, she has her ups and downs but so does everyone else.
The whole thing hasn’t really affected my little sister, Rose. She never talks about how she feels or anything like that. She’s not like normal kids. She doesn’t play with dolls. Instead, she tears them apart and turns them into monsters. But, hey, it keeps her occupied and out of my way. She is very cute though, the little rat. She has beautiful, shiny, long black hair that goes to the middle of her back. She wears plain t-shirts and jeans all the time. But, I love her. She’s annoying but also kinda funny at times.
Back to the present. This victorian house or mansion or whatever it is is very large. It’s a dark olive green color. It’s not the best color for a house but it is what it is. Maybe Mom will let us paint it sometime. There are 4 visible double hung windows that look out at the street and then they go around the house in each room. There isn’t much around this area except some trees. The front door is a screen door. Since it’s warmer in Florida, that’s a plus. There isn’t much of a porch but the front porch does reach to the side a bit where a few benches could sit. There is a back porch but that one is very small. The roof style is Mansard and it suits the house perfectly. Now that I’m done explaining my house and family to you, I’m gonna go unpack.
January 15, 2017 cont.-
Oh no… there is a TON of bugs in here. That’s my biggest fear. They are disgusting and gross with their stupid little legs crawling on things. Mom said she’d get some spray to get rid of them.
When I got into the house, Mom said I could choose my bedroom first because I was the oldest but when I got into the room upstairs that looks out at the back trees, I heard a horrible screeching sound. Like nails on a chalkboard. But I could only feel the discomfort more than I could hear the sound. I told my mom and Rose but they didn’t hear or feel it. I thought that was weird so I walked off to choose another room. How could they not hear it? That’s the strangest thing today.
January 16, 2017-
I couldn’t sleep last night. I felt that bad feeling again but it was faint. Plus, I’m nervous to start school here. Yeah I’m gonna be a Junior and all but ugh. I can’t even think about it right now.
Mom needs to go to the store. We have ZERO food. She also needs to call a plumber. The shower makes weird groaning sounds every time we turn it on. Bleh. So far this house sucks. Well kinda.  I like my bedroom. It's big and the walls are grey which is awesome! Grey goes with everything. Anyways, my sister has been acting weird today. She stares off into the distance and then goes back to doing whatever she was doing. Last night, I woke up and she was sitting at the end of my bed staring at the floor. I asked what she was doing and she just got up and walked back to her room. Must’ve been sleep walking. I have been hearing rustling noises upstairs. That would be the attic or another floor? I have no idea. I talked to Mom about it and she explained to me that there’s some woman who lives upstairs in the attic and that there are stairs outside. That’s why I’ve never seen her. Strange.
January 20, 2017-
I know it’s been awhile since my last entry but weird stuff has been happening. An unknown number kept calling me at least two times a day. I would answer and I wouldn’t hear anything for awhile. I would hear screaming and hang up. It was creepy. Then, I woke up in the middle of the night and I swear I saw a dark figure huddling in the corner across my bed. I quickly reached for my lamp to turn it on and then it shot towards me like a gust of wind and right as it was about to hit me, it disappeared. I just sat there. Shocked. It didn’t feel real at all.
All of the sudden I felt that bad feeling again but it was getting more intense. It was a horrible idea but I decided to walk towards the room it was in the first day we moved here. I walked into the room and I saw Rose sitting on the floor scratching at something. I called out to her and she stopped. She turned around slowly. I couldn’t see anything but her figure. Then, she ran towards me and as soon as the light from the hallway hit her, I saw a black liquid coming out of her eyes. I screamed and my mom came running. She turned on the light in the room and the black liquid was gone. Rose was crying and my mom was yelling at me. She wouldn’t believe me when I told her what happened. I don’t even know anymore.
January 23, 2017-
Rose is really creeping me out. She gave me one of her monster dolls that she made and said, “ They wanted me to give this to you.” I was confused?? I had no idea what she was talking about. The doll was really.. I don’t know. Scary? It’s eyes were melted and the arms were missing. The legs were deformed and the hair was singed. Like she took a lighter and burned the hair. She put claws  on the doll’s feet. She also put some real looking wings on the back of it.. Jeez. What is wrong with her?? Great. Thanks, sis.
January 25, 2017-
I’m currently laying in my bed with my lamp on. The light keeps flickering and that doll Rose gave me makes me feel like it’s staring at me. I needed to type this to distract myself.
It’s sitting on my shelf right now across from my bed. When the lamp is off, I feel like it moves… I put in on my shelf yesterday and I found it on my bed. I asked Mom and Rose about it but they were out of the house when it happened. There’s something going on in this house.. I just don’t know what. Maybe I should talk to that girl upstairs. She’s lived here longer than us. She might be able to explain to me what is going on.
January 27, 2017-
I went to go see the girl upstairs. Her name is Mandy and she’s lived here for 5 years. She was also experiencing weird things. She told me she went to the library and did research on the house. She wouldn’t tell me what she found out though. I kept asking but she kept changing the subject. I noticed a scar on her neck though. I didn’t ask because that’s rude. It’s none of my business. I’m just curious.
She told me to go to the library and do the research myself. Well, I listened. I went to the library and…. well , I wasn’t disappointed. This house or mansion used to be where a cult would practice their beliefs and rituals. I looked into that, too. They would bring people in and.. I can’t even finish it.. They would kill them.. In an unnatural way. I mean killing people isn’t natural anyways but you know what I mean. The cult consisted of men and women. Sometimes they would raise their children into the cult.. The parents would.. Get rid of their kids and do a ritual. It was so awful. I had to stop reading and I ran home.
January 28, 2017-
Well.. I talked to Mandy about what I found out and she told me more about it. She used to be a kid in the cult.. As she was telling me this, she kept touching the scar on her neck. She said her parents were the main leaders and they were waiting until Mandy was 13 to… get rid of her. They looked at it as a gift to whatever they believed in. Her parents put Mandy in school and didn’t think anyone would believe her if she were to tell anyone there. One night, Mandy heard her parents talking about the night when Mandy would be sacrificed. She got scared and talked to a teacher about it. The teacher didn’t believe her at first but then she went to their house to give her her work from when she was gone. The house was bright looking on the outside but when she saw the inside, she didn’t know what to believe. Things Mandy told her started making sense. She rushed out of there and went to the police. That night, the cult was planning something big. When the time came, her parents were going to cut her throat. Right after, the police rushed in and one took Mandy away. Luckily she was still breathing. The rest were locked in there when a fire started. No one knows what caused the fire.
That night, I lay in bed thinking about what I just learned. This was horrible. I’m living in a house where people were burned alive. I had to get out of there. I was walking to my door when I heard a screeching sound. Like an owl. As I turned around, Rose’s doll was flying towards me with it’s claws out. Just as I moved, the bedroom door shut. I was screaming. The doll was coming after me. Finally, I found a stapler and used it to defend myself. The doll made another screeching sound when I threw the stapler at it. I must’ve knocked it out because it stopped moving and just layed in the ground. I slowly walked over to it and looked it over. I decided to pick it up because that was the greatest idea ever. I picked it up with two fingers by the wings and tilted my head. I examined it. It’s melted eyes were black as night. The wings were torn and the feathers were falling off, revealing a metal bar. Why would Rose give this to me? She made it herself! Back on track, after a few minutes, I opened my window and threw it out. As it was about to hit the ground, it woke up and flew towards me. I quickly shut the window. It was clawing and screeching at me through the window. There was no way I was sleeping after that.
January 29, 2017-
I didn’t see a reason to tell anyone about what happened except Mandy. When I told her what happened, she sighed and said,“ I knew this would happen.” I was confused. What did she mean?
After that, I had to leave. I went for a walk around town to spend some time around SANE people. I was thinking about everything that happened and what Mandy told me.. Now I sit here typing on my phone. I have to type this out to understand it.  A cult was going to sacrifice their own kid but the police got there barely in time to rescue Mandy. No one knew why the fire started. I don’t believe in ghosts but… what if it’s possible they came back? As angry spirits or something? That would explain what’s been happening. But what about what I saw coming out of Rose’s eyes? Why did it disappear? Why was the doll trying to attack me? Why would Mandy still want to live here after what happened? Nothing made sense. I should probably go home.
January 29, 2017 cont.-
I can’t believe this happened… I’m here with Mandy. I ran into her on the sidewalk as I was running. I told her what happened when I got home. I don’t even know how to explain what happened! All I know is that Mom was trying to hurt me or something. Why? Why would she? Wait..
Mandy’s story! Her own parents were trying to kill her. What if this is related? What if..? No. Impossible. It can’t be that maybe.. Mom is possessed..? She ran after me with a knife while Rose was at a friend’s house. What if she was originally going to do that to Rose? But I came home instead… it’s starting to make sense. The doll. It was trying to kill me! But it didn’t so it moved to Mom instead. That still doesn’t explain the black liquid..
I just talked to Mandy about it before she moved. She said it makes complete sense. She said the black liquid could’ve been red.. And that it could’ve been from the other members’ spirits.. She said they were interested in blood rituals but her parents wanted something more extreme. That would explain it..
Mandy came back from the counter in the coffee shop we were at. Weird huh? Coffee and spirits. Fun fun. It’s hard to still have a sense of humor after this but I don’t know. What else can I do? What should I do with this information? I can’t go back to the house but what about Rose? She’s at a friend’s house anyways. She should be safe, right?
I finally decided to ask Mandy why she stayed at that place all these years. Her response was,” I guess I wanted to watch over the people who have lived there. Nothing happens to where I live at. The attic wasn’t made until the house was remodeled.“ That kinda makes sense. Feeling like you have to protect people from your own parents or their spirits.
Mandy is going to take me to a hotel. So I’ll type later.
January 30, 2018-
It’s been a year since it happened.. The house burning down while Mom was in it. Rose and I are living with Dad and his girlfriend. I haven’t typed since but I feel like I have to.
No one knows what caused the fire. They say it was similar to the one years ago when the cult was here. Mandy is gone. I don’t know where she went. But I guess I have time to explain what happened..
Mandy and I went to the house to grab something and when we got there, the house was on fire. It seemed like it was burning for awhile. It was silent. No sound. Just the fire burning. I didn’t know what to do or think. I just stood there. I was too late. I should’ve done something sooner.. I gotta go for now.

This diary was found on a phone next to Vivian when she died. She was found in front of the old house that burned down. No one knows what happened. All the police found was some deep red liquid coming from her eyes and a doll with a melted face. There was also red liquid coming out of where the eyes would’ve been..
Rose can’t be found. Police think she ran away. Others think she might’ve had something to do with her sister’s death.
Their father and stepmom died days after Vivian’s body was found. We still can’t figure out what caused their death. They were also found in front of the old house.
Rose is assumed dead but we don’t know for sure.