Shadows Of The Wind | Teen Ink

Shadows Of The Wind

By BunnyBlanc, Kolkata, Northwest Territories
BunnyBlanc, Kolkata, Northwest Territories

Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none
- Shakespeare.

Author's note:

I recently read a book of Zoe Marriott, Shadows On The Moon, and i was inspired by it. Little Mermaid is my favourite fairytale, but i never understood, why, she gave up on everything just for her love, who was a human, when she knew that humans were responsible for her mother's death! So, i thought of combining the story with a story of my own imagination.

“Come on Aqua, the party can’t start without the bday girl!” Exclaimed my sister, rather best friend, Alina, right beside my ears. We are five sisters, Azura, Akira, Amelia , Alina and lastly me, Aquamarine. In short, Aqua. Today is my fourteenth bday party and I’m to be crowned today. Azura and Akira were crowned six years back, Amelia was crowned last year Alina was crowned last month while me, today. Azura being the oldest ruled the kingdom of Oceana since the death of our parents. They were killed by Humans. “People are waiting for you to be crowned Aquamarine.” Azura said blankly. “ Can you ever speak to me nicely?” I said rather hurt. “ I would have if you weren’t merely responsible for mom and dad’s death!” She replied coldly. “ She is not!” Alina defended me, she always did. So did Amelia. But Akira always stood up for Azura. “ Lets not argue about that now shall we, Alina?” Akira said. “i think You and Azura were old enough to protect them that time. But you didn’t so, you’re as much as fault as we are.” Amelia said as if it was a fact. She never spoke much, but when she did, it was enough to silence everyone, and it was good for me, and for Alina too. ” I’m not hearing another word from any of you. Aquamarine is coming out in a minute. After she’s crowned she can go wherever she wants to. It won’t be my concern anymore.”  How could she say something like this?! “ You’re never gonna find me!” And with that I  swam away. I was known as the fastest swimming mermaid in the whole Oceana. I swam for hours till I saw that I was far away from home. I looked up and saw that I was nearly outside the ocean. I swam a  little more and soon half of my body was outside water…

For the first time after the incident I’ve been outside water. It feels so free! But suddenly, I heard a noise, which, Akira used to say, was the ship’s horn. Oh my god! Human! I must hide! “Look! A girl! We need to rescue her! Throw the ropes!” Somebody cried out. Oh no this isn’t good! “Help!” I cried out. It made matters worse cause they thought I was drowning. They threw a big thing, grandma used to say, it was fishing net, towards me and trapped me. Then I felt being pulled outside water. I felt strange, and dizzy. “ Are you okay?” I heard someone say. I fell unconscious and was waking up now. But… How? I looked towards my tail… I don’t have them anymore! Instead there were some kind of 2 identical, long, smooth stick like things which I could move. Those must be legs! I realized eyes staring at me, oh right! I haven’t answered yet. “I’m fine. But… Where am I?” “ At the Royal Palace of Atlanta M’lady” Replied a girl. “ Our young Prince went on a voyage and rescued you. What were doing in the middle of the ocean? “Another girl asked. Rescued?! He killed me! “ I um… Went on a trip with my family… And I fell in an accident. Thank him from me for saving my life.” I said. “ We will. Oh! I’m Maya and this is Alice.” She introduced. “ I’m Aquamarine. But you can call me Aqua.” I replied politely. “But we are only special maids. Prince told us to take care of you.” Maya stated, clearly unhappy. “There’s no rule like this from the place I come from, so, you can call me Aqua. And I think we’re gonna be very good friends.” I told them cheerily. Right then, someone entered the room. “How is she?” The boy asked. Could that be the Prince? He was quite slender and muscular. “ Yes Sir, she is okay.” Alice replied. “ Hello. Thanks for saving my life.” I thanked him. “It was my duty. I am Prince Alex of Atlanta.” He said. Quite polite, I thought humans were rude. “ I’m Princess Aquamarine of Xeris.” I had to make it up, cause I was wearing Royal clothes, had a tiara on and my jewelries… Nothing was common! “ Princess Aquamarine…” He started. “ Please, you guys, call me Aqua.” I cut him off. “ Oh! Okay.” They said in unison. “So, Aqua, you can stay here as long as you want. Wander freely. And if you need anything, just ask Maya and Alice. They are here to help you. Take rest for the night. Tomorrow, we can go on a tour of the kingdom if you’d like.” He said politely. “Sure! But Maya and Alice should come too. Thank you.” I replied enthusiastically. “As you wish. Goodnight.” And he went away. “Goodnight Aqua!” Maya and Alice also left. “Goodnight.” I said sleepily, and soon I went to the land of Dreams. Indeed it was all a dream. I was in a whole new world with different creatures surrounding me. How will I go back to Oceana? Alina and Amelia must be worried. Akira must be very angry, and Azura? I think she might be happy. But since I am here. I’ll avenge my parents’ death at any cost. I wont return till I get my revenge. I, Princess Aquamarine of Oceana, vow to myself, that I won’t return to Oceana before I avenge my mom and dad’s death by these humans! I’m coming you killer, be ready to face your death.