Inside the Mind of a Bastard Child

Author's note: I want to write this to free others to tell their stories and to encourage them that they are not...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: I want to write this to free others to tell their stories and to encourage them that they are not on this earth alone and destitute. No matter what hand you are dealt in this life you can make it if you really want. Even when you feel you have failed or feel like you are stuck in one place, useless, alone, untalented, unqualified for success, undeserving of love or any other label you can slap on yourself you are nothing short of perfectly designed. Each and every person has a story to share and if we all shared ours we would break down the walls that isolate us in our pain and see that maybe this world was created to be more then a holding cell imprisoning us into a life of meaninglessness.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Next »

My Sister

Her name is Rachael
Rachael Elizabeth Poss

She looks like our mother
And looks like her father
With her long brown hair
Thick like a horse's mane
Skin tanned with the brown of a Mexican Indian
Her eyes round but small
Forest colored green, sparkling with bits of rich gold
Her lips soft and pink
Upper lips thinner and lower lip full
Face pleasantly rounded
Ears petite and dainty
Her frame taller, and slim
Her hands small and fragile
Her heart on her sleeve
Her mind consistently “torturing' me

One Year and Three months older
Two Years in School
Close to me and yet so very different indeed
Always ready to please
Sensitive and caring
Fearless around peers
Nice, intelligent and perfectly acceptable to all
My beautiful sister
Is perfect

She is motherly and gentle
Her words are calm and soothing
And she can always get us out of trouble

She has a tendency to fidget when she's nervous
Cry around our dad
But really she is braver than I'll ever be

She will do anything without pausing to think
She has a great power of authority and a manipulative mind
She doesn't seem bothered by anyone's stares
She is exactly who I wish I could be

She has an easy smile that lights up her eyes
A giggle that draws people near
And she is the first person my dad goes to for everything

MRKE said...
Apr. 15, 2011 at 12:41 am:
What an inspirational story.  Such amazing words from such a strong, young woman.

Lizzie said...
Incredible! What a great lesson in the strength of the human spirit. Bravo! I tried to rate it 5 stars, but had a technical glitch only three showed up. *****

momo said...
So brave, so sad! What a stong girl. I want to read the rest! Great style.

tinkerestes said...
Brillant and honest!  Unnerving and yet, needing to be heard.  Thank you Marie for an amazing story told from your heart. 

brookish said...
As a writer myself, I think it is precisely these stories that most need to be heard and available to kids out there who need to know they are not alone and it can get better. This is an important book from an important new voice.

kjamie said...
Your strength and honesty are humbling.  You are an inspiration to us all.  Continue your passion of writing!

finkster said...
So incredibly moving and heartfelt. Your words will move and help and serve many. Keep up your fabulous energy, wonderful way with words, reach for your dreams .....you are going places!!!

fyakym said...
Apr. 14, 2011 at 10:28 am:
Where can I get this and read it by a hard copy?! I am so proud (I am Rachael's friend from Indiana). I have only read a short bit so far, but cannot wait to read more! Thank you for the encouragement! I am speechless!

timshutes said...
Apr. 14, 2011 at 8:56 am:
Way to go Marie - we're so proud of you!  what incredibly honest and bold writing.

Miss B said...
Hey, Marie.  Your writing is honest, piercing, unforgettable - just like you are. I am proud to be your friend, and will forever be.  Much love to you and Rachael.

jane said...
this is such a brave and brutal account of your past. the writing style is unique, captivating, and extremely well done. this is a brilliant accomplishment and something to be very proud of! 

SarahJ said...
Your writing is very moving, Marie. I love how you share your story through poetry. Keep writing!

Opus said...

Terriffic and powerful Marie! I was so moved by your expressions and the flow of your pen!

I always knew you were a gifted writer and one day your story would be shared..how brave!

You are an amazing being and I am incredibly proud of you!  I love you dearly, am inspired by you, and am incredibly grateful grateful for knowing you.. you are on to greatness!

Coalin said...
Such a powerful real life story. I really enjoyed this piece! 

BritinSB said...
What an amazing, courageous person and beautiful person Marie is for sharing her life story with us. This book will be an inspiration to the young and the old and everyone inbetween.

heartoffact said...
SO good. It's an understated punch to the face. I'm saaaaad that it is not finished.  Super great writing Marie!!!

bethcampbell said...
The strength it must have taken to write this book is impossible for me to understand.  What an amazing young lady.  You are an inspiration.

collegestudent replied...
Oct. 11, 2012 at 9:32 pm :
I am having the same trouble, did you ever get an answer>

Jackie said...
Apr. 13, 2011 at 7:59 am:

WOW!! Way to go Marie! What a brave and courageous young woman to share your life this way! It really touched me and I know it will reach out and help other young (and older) women move forward from their pasts, bringing freedom because they will know they are not alone! Thanks for being like Joshua...bold, strong and of good courage!

Awesome job!!!!!!

Kim M said...
Apr. 13, 2011 at 7:33 am:
Marie, I think is going to be an awesome read for everyone and a cathartic part of your journey as well.  Rock on sista!