Inside the Mind of a Bastard Child

Author's note: I want to write this to free others to tell their stories and to encourage them that they are not...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: I want to write this to free others to tell their stories and to encourage them that they are not on this earth alone and destitute. No matter what hand you are dealt in this life you can make it if you really want. Even when you feel you have failed or feel like you are stuck in one place, useless, alone, untalented, unqualified for success, undeserving of love or any other label you can slap on yourself you are nothing short of perfectly designed. Each and every person has a story to share and if we all shared ours we would break down the walls that isolate us in our pain and see that maybe this world was created to be more then a holding cell imprisoning us into a life of meaninglessness.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Next »

A Simple Metaphor

I've traveled a broken road
I was born along its winding paths and seemed drawn to its darkened ways
I could hide among its banks and shed my tears behind its trees
Like the wind I was swift to destroy but gentle in nature and soft in approach
Lonely was my silent world but solitude kept my secrets safe
Inside the forest lurked monsters tall and strong
Feeble arms of youth did fail me
Legs quick, with toughened feet could still not help in making an
This poem outlines my life.
escape for me

As my heart dismayed and my hope deferred I became even less than a name
I learned the ways to live like the shadows of my nightmares did
I took pleasure from the sweet words of tender birds
Found mild peace in the sun's beams
Could whisper loud enough to led a few strangers under my covering of leaves
But never did I trust enough to be lead away by the fleeting feet of my company
I was rooted to the earth with great loyalty

It wasn't until a rescuer came searching for me did I hear or see that there were other possibilities
He brought a light with Him and led the way
I experienced joy within His embrace
The cold barely nipped my nose
I walked, I ran, I crawled, but most of all He carried me..... away
I never saw the forest sing as I did underneath His wings
I now walk a lit but narrow path
Every step is safe and clear as along as I cease to stray
Those who made my knees weak call out from somewhere but I dare not find out from where
Painful things have since ambushed me on my way but I let my Savior save every day

I live without shame
My bruises and scares He has overcome
I feel abandoned no more
For my Lord has given me:
women on watchtowers for when I teeter or stumble
Men on horses with arrows to enter the battle before me
A family that extends past the norm
And a home where His name reigns above all

What more could I ask for?
How much more could I want?
I have a unconditional love all my own
Songs to sing and a friend for every time of need
Eternity is before me and glory resided in me
What is left of life now is to see who will come and join me
And to free those who see only the looming of darkness that is behind me

riya said...
Aug. 14 at 11:01 am:
this book inspires us to strrugle like the boy.

Raven T. This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 9 at 8:16 pm:
This was a very interesting book to read and it showed me the strength of human character. Marie is a great writer and I hope that she continues being so strong :)

freakycatlover said...
May 5, 2013 at 12:14 pm:
Keep writing, and stay stong no matter what people say.

Makya A. said...
Jan. 8, 2013 at 10:45 am:
yi think this story is sad  and i also think into conclusion to my last statement i shall show sy

ShadowyObserver said...
You'll have to excuse me while I pick my jaw up off the floor. You are some trooper. This is a cool, but sad and painful story. God bless you on the rest of your life journey!

writerauterThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
thankyou for this. you have really inspired me. you did a great job. i love your origionality. <3 i wish you good luck!!

Labeled said...
May 11, 2012 at 5:51 pm:
For some reason I cant go past chapter one. I click next and it sends me back to the cover. How can I fix this?

J1029This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
May 1, 2012 at 5:54 pm:
It's good and has a lot of detail, but it's a little hard to follow. Other than that I like it. 

sherrinford This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...

Finally! Something realistic, powerful, amazing that doesn't try to imitate Jacqueline Wilson 'I'm the saddest girl int he world' series. I love your idea of writing a free verse poem for your story. Honestly, I would love to see this published into a bestseller. I would also love to buy one for me and another for a friend. 

This is a truly beautiful book. <3

shapeshifter56 said...
This is the second time I have read this. It is truly an amazing story and very well-written. Stay strong :) My heart goes out to you and all of your family.

KatsviewThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 25, 2012 at 6:38 pm:
I'm so, so sorry. This is a truly amazing story. This is really powerful. Perhaps this is why you're here: to tell your story. Great job and good luck for the rest of your life!

dreamsandthings This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 25, 2012 at 12:08 pm:
Wow. That is so amazing and inspiring. That's really all I can say. I'm speechless.

KeyaLove said...
Feb. 13, 2012 at 10:20 am:
One of my favorities , So powerful. :))

Marieweibel said...
Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:07 pm:
Thank you everyone. :) Your comments are most encouraging :)

Longstaffinator said...
Feb. 6, 2012 at 9:42 am:
This is powerful.

jbjones87 said...
this is extremely good. keep going with this please and check out my poems and book. my book is pending right now but i'd love some feedback. youre a strong person. keep writing

publicdomain said...
You're truly remarkable. It is amazing that you are able to present us with your story few people have the courage to do that and you conveyed it in a beautiful way. You're an amazing writer and i wish you the best of luck in your life and I know you will achieve all of your goals because despite everything you are a strong young lady thanks again for telling us your story and I hope you decide to continue writing this if you expand on this I guarantee you will get it published. You are an inspi... (more »)

AubreyD. said...
I love you for being such a strong and amazing person. Your book helps me a ton :)

Villangel said...
Dec. 8, 2011 at 10:15 am:
Before I even read the book I knew that I loved it.! You are so gifted and I love how it's written in poem verses. Do you read Ellen Hopkins.? If not, then you should. You're writing has a lot in common.

Earth2Jocelyn replied...
Jan. 23, 2012 at 3:07 pm :
i was thinking the exact same thing ^_^