A Mixed Bag

Author's note: Going on this trip was one of the most memorable experiences of my life. I had SO much fun...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: Going on this trip was one of the most memorable experiences of my life. I had SO much fun despite all the crazy things that happened. The thing is; I wouldn't do it again because there's no way it could be as perfect, is there?  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 13 Next »

Singing Can Cure Even The Worst Drizzling

We amused ourselves immensely on those long canoe trips, talking about various subjects. Such as quizzing Claire on Canadian candies that we don’t have, playing name games, 20 questions and I spy, and reciting Dr. Seuss in funny tunes wait, that was just me. “I DO NOT like them Sam, I Am!” I would shout while neglecting to paddle for a bit. “I DO NOT like green eggs and ham.” Claire would giggle and give a prompting look at my paddle dragging in the water. “Oops, sorry!” I would yell to whoever was trying to keep the boat moving in the back.
One day, it began drizzling. That day we were just canoeing, no portages. On our way across the lake we began to sing. We sang songs Mr.Banks had taught us to sing during his time served as our Physics teacher. A big part of Waldorf education is singing, playing recorder, or reciting before our Main Lesson. Mr.Banks took that to mean “Take ½ the main lesson forcing the children to sing high soprano songs and then toot them out on your recorder too!” So we’d learned a great deal of song from him by the time we were rowing on the lakes of Canada. We also sang songs from Musicals like Joesph and the Technicolor Dreamcoat and Mary Poppins.
As we pulled into our campsite for the night, we were belting a working song we’d learned in 5th grade in three part harmony. “Guys.” Claire said as we were having our “circle time” before bed, looking up into the starry darkness. “I was feeling crappy ‘cause of the rain and then you started singing and it really made my day.” It was a wonderful compliment because as a whole, we were an extremely loud class. But out in the Wilderness, there was no one to tell us to quiet down. I think that’s one of the reasons we got along so well there.