A Mixed Bag

Author's note: Going on this trip was one of the most memorable experiences of my life. I had SO much fun...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: Going on this trip was one of the most memorable experiences of my life. I had SO much fun despite all the crazy things that happened. The thing is; I wouldn't do it again because there's no way it could be as perfect, is there?  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 13 Next »

Bus Rides Are Crazy!

On the day of our departure we met in Windsor at 8pm to get on a bus for a 10 hour road-trip. There were kids from another Waldorf School in Detroit there as well. They all sat in the back of the bus playing some version of Truth or Dare for most of the ride. I sat near the front, but not too close to the teachers sleeping in the front few rows.
Near the end of the ride, when people started dozing off, Lucy ended up falling asleep over both of our seats while I was in the bathroom. So I lay down in the aisle-way. I did not fall asleep, however, because Maggie, who was hopped up on organic jelly beans, was jumping over my head from seat to seat across the isle. I flinched every time, even thought I knew she wouldn’t fall. Maggie’s always jumping around, but she has impeccable balance.
When we finally arrived, we were fogged in. A ocean plane was supposed to take us from the dock where we stood to the camp- Temagami. We arrived just after 6am but the plane couldn’t come until 8:30. “ GAH! I’m freezing!” I complained, running in place to keep my toes from falling off. “Well duh! You’re wearing flip flops.” Lucy pointed at my toes and I shivered. “Think about tropical islands.” My giggly, book-smart, friend Ella suggested. I pushed play on my iPod and we screamed Weezer’s Island in the Sun and dancing like mad, until finally the plane arrived. The plane ride was supposedly beautiful, but I was only awake for about a minute of it. After staying awake for 24 hours my eyes couldn’t stay open anymore. When we landed I stumbled up the path, flopped down on a bunk and fell asleep.