Not again... | Teen Ink

Not again...

It was Valentine's day. The worst day of the whole year. Husbands getting flowers for their wife, couples of all ages at a fancy restaurant eating dinner, kissing in the street. Gross. I have always been alone. I was a business woman and much too busy to have a boyfriend. So valentine’s day was just torture in reminding me that I was alone. I didn’t necessarily want to be alone but I just hadn’t met the right one and I didn’t have time to go look. It was 7 pm. I walked out of the office. It was raining. Great.. Can’t wait to see couples kiss in the rain because they think it’s “romantic”. I waved my hand for a taxi. I put my bright yellow umbrella down and got in the taxi. I let out a long sigh when the driver looked back at me. I looked up and gasped. It was him. The one that broke my heart.

“Monica?”

“Hi Christopher.”

“You look great how have you been?”

“Don’t try to start small talk with me. Just drive me home please, you know where I live.”

He started to drive but glancing at me through the rearview mirror every couple seconds. I sat back on the seat, slouching and looked out the window, watching each raindrop hit the glass.

“Oh come on Monica, just let it go, it’s the past.”

I sat up in my seat and leaned forward to let him know that he was acting quite ridiculous and I was not having this.

“Are you kidding me?” I replied rolling my eyes. “You cheated on me when we were engaged Christopher I can’t ever not think about that. You broke my heart and now I haven’t even gone on a date in 3 years because i’m scared i’m not good enough. Glad to know that you're a selfish dog who thinks it’s easy for a girl to just be okay with sitting behind the guy that cheated on her a couple days before the wedding. But yes you're right I should forget about it.”

It was silent for a moment. We sat there listening to the rain hit the car and some music playing from clubs as we passed them.

“Here we are.”

“Thanks.” I replied, eager to get out of that damn cab.

I got out, popped up my umbrella and before closing the door shot him the finger, smiling. Why smiling? Because I knew I was too good for him.

Let’s do a little flashback here. It was three years ago from now. January 29th to be exact. I was at at the bar with a few of my girlfriends. It was one of their birthdays so we were celebrating, having a good time. Every single one of the girls were talking about how sweet their boyfriends and husbands were and I was trying not to think about how I was the ONLY single one and it may be a little sad considering that I was 27 years old. Then the birthday girls’ amazing boyfriend walked in. He proposed right there. I knew right then that I was sick of being this single workaholic i've been for so long. It was time I put myself out there if you will. I walked up to the bartender and asked for another drink then looked down at the table playing with my fingernails. When I looked back up I saw the bartender slide the drink to me and say “It’s on me.” Winking. I smiled and started to walk away. Then I thought to myself, this could be my shot. I turned around doing a cute hair flip and went back up to the bar.

“Hi, I’m Monica. Here’s my card, feel free to call me when you want.” I gave a quick smile and turned away almost tripping over my own two feet with nervousness. I had never been that outgoing where I just hand a random guy my phone number. I was nervous but proud that I finally got the guts to put myself out there.

I got home that night at about 3 am. Way past my bedtime. I turned the light off and plugged my phone in next to me. Right as I layed down to fall asleep I got a text. Oh god, work at 3 am? No way. I grabbed my phone but it wasn’t work. A number I didn’t know that said “Hey, I know it’s late but I just done with work and couldn’t stop thinking about the pretty girl that gave me her number. I’m Christopher.”

My heart skipped a beat. I haven’t gotten a text from a man in so long. Then we talked until 6 am. Now THAT was past my bedtime.

We talked for about a week before we both had time to actually get together and officially meet. I pulled on my black work dress. Yes my “work” dress. I have nothing else and didn’t know what to wear on a date, heck it’s been years since i’ve been on an actual date. I grabbed my coat and purse and on my way out looked in the mirror seeing a smile that I have never really seen before. A look of actual excitement.

The date went fabulous. He pulled out my chair for me, he paid for my meal, and he even gave me a kiss when he dropped me off at my door. He was a real gentleman. I knew that this was the start of something good for me.

We got very close from there. We were almost inseparable when we both aren't working crazy hours. He woke me up with a kiss every morning and would have a hot cup of coffee ready when I got out of the shower. He would always say “I love you” before we both left for work. We would try to have dinner together 3 days during the week which doesn’t always work, considering we are both really busy with our work schedules. But we both tried and our efforts showed. We were good together. I was truly happy with a man for once. My friends even noticed how differently happy I was because of him. It seemed like I was on cloud 9.

Almost 3 years later, I thought we were about to get married. We talked about starting a family and making our life together soon. I woke up and went to bed with a smile on my face each and every morning and night. Waking up next to him and falling asleep next to him.

I was on my way to work. It was the beginning of February. I got out of the taxi, buttoning up my coat and waving to the driver (not able to thank him due to being on an important call with one of my clients). I was about to walk into my office when I looked into my coworkers office. My phone hit the floor. Tears started to fall as I melted onto the ground in awe. Jennifer and I were friends, and there was her and MY boyfriend of 3 years together. Kissing. He turned towards me when he heard my cry. He stopped and started to walk towards me.

“Don’t come near me, you sick man.” I yelled as I backed away. I started to walk out, picking my briefcase up that I had dropped onto the floor. I walked out with anger, stopped in my boss’s office to tell her that I couldn’t work today and went home. I didn’t even grab a taxi, I walked 3 blocks home. A second didn’t go by without a tear rolling down my cheek. I was heartbroken. I went home and layed in bed, tissues around me and an empty ice cream container on the nightstand next to me.

It’s now January 29th. I got out of that cab, flipped him off and walked inside smiling. I hadn’t seen him since it happened. I finally realized that I was over him and he didn’t deserve me. I wasn’t necessarily ready to put myself out there again but I knew that seeing him again as a taxi driver, was just enough for me to know for sure that I did nothing wrong, it was all him.