Not My Cup Of Tea: A Story In Seasons

Author's note: I was inspired to write my piece as a way to document how I have grown over the course of the...  Show full author's note »
Author's note:

I was inspired to write my piece as a way to document how I have grown over the course of the last year and as a way to self-reflect. I hope by reading this, others take the time to reflect on how they have grown over the last year and gain comfort in the reality that change is constant and 100% normal.

« Hide author's note
Chapters:   1 2 3 4 5 6 Next »

Author's Statement

As someone who likes to track her growth through journaling and photography, I could think of no better way than to combine this, as well as my passion for storytelling, to create the product before you today.
After contemplating my progress throughout the many months and years of my life, I stumbled across the idea, while daydreaming, of creating a collection of works, one for each season of the past school year, to document lessons learned as a form of self-reflection. Later adapting to fit my needs as a writer, as well as patterns I recognized, I soon incorporated, along with these lessons, my struggles with my mental health, my successes and the process I underwent, and am still undergoing today, to overcome challenges presented to me, specifically that of forging new friendships and letting go of old ones.
This past year has been a particularly enlightening and trying year for me. I’ve had many amazing experiences that will forever shape my character as well have undergone periods of both clarity and struggle when it comes to my mental health. I’ve learned a lot about myself and learned to accept myself for my flaws as well as to remain open to new experiences and ideas, something I hope to convey to you within the pages of this collection of works.
While each moment within the collection was handpicked and carefully crafted through the use of diction to capture my own emotions during the time of the specific event or experience, each one is unique in the sense that each person who reads my piece will draw their own conclusion on whether my piece depicts my past year in a very dramatized, self-centered way or in a truthful, candid way in order to speak my truth.
Leaving my piece open to interpretation and judgment, while a challenging thing to do when it comes to something so personal, is something I hope will resonate with its readers and allow them to reflect on themselves and their growth over the last year. Additionally, I hope that by reading my collection readers will take comfort in recognizing that we are all ever-growing and changing and that that is perfectly normal.
With this in mind, I’d also like to remind readers of specific, purposeful aspects to take note of while enjoying my piece. One of them is the use of the past tense. The use of this tense is intended to remind readers that one can recount the past without dwelling on it and allowing it to consume them, an important lesson I learned that is an overarching factor in how my piece was collected and formed. Additionally, I have included images from each season and period in my life, to give readers a peek into my experience while still leaving room for imagination so that my piece can be received differently by each reader.
All in all, I hope you enjoy my piece. Writing it proved to be therapeutic and allowed me to better grasp and appreciate how I’ve changed since last June. I hope from reading it you gain a better understanding of yourself, of growth and the importance of looking back after a challenging time to reflect on how far you’ve come.
Chapters:   1 2 3 4 5 6 Next »