New Teen Ink Book: Bullying Under Attack Barnes & Noble Amazon

Mind Over Body

Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next »

The First Morning

I slid out of bed and rubbed the sleep out of my eyes. I leaned over to the other bunk and woke up Miranda.
“Girl, when is the last time you brushed your teeth?” she asked me.
“Get your butt out of bed and let’s go shower.” I snapped back.
We agreed last night after chapel to wake up at five as an attempt to beat the “shower rush”. Three showers divided by 60 girls? Yeah, right.

We walked over to the small steamy room.
“I’m dying for a hot shower. I’m done being sick.” I growled.
My voice sounded so horrible. I couldn’t even talk. I was also exhausted from pranking the boys last night. Being stuck in the bunkhouse, (The place where the late-comers and leftovers got thrown into. Boys on the bottom floor, girls on the top.) it was so easy to prank. The girls in the same bunk row as Miranda and I were up late scheming and plotting with us. We decided to go downstairs into the boy’s bathroom and scatter popcorn everywhere. On the floor, in the sinks, and in front of the door, leaving the popcorn bag in THEIR trashcan.

I turned the water on in the first shower and changed into my bathing suit as fast as possible. I ran into the shower and dropped my products onto the floor. “Shampoo, conditioner, soap…” I whispered to myself, making sure I had everything I needed. The water was so warm and the room was so steamy. It was the nicest shower-room I had ever been in.

After we hopped out of the showers, we walked back to our bunk row. We changed and scooped up our makeup and hair bags. I kicked the door open like I always did, and walked out. The door to the right led to the bathroom, where we hid away to fix our faces. I washed my face, then blow-dried my wet hair.
“Can’t we just go back to bed?” Miranda pleaded.
“Fine,” I started “we can go to bed. Then wake up and have to fight other girls for five seconds of mirror-use to put on some bloody lip gloss.” I winked at her.
“True.” She responded.

When we were done, we sat on the stairs that led down to the boys room.
“Do you hear that?” I whispered. “It sounds like your brother!”
We looked down the stairs, expecting to find Andrew, Miranda’s older brother, and ran back into the bathroom, surprised to find five boys we had never seen before! I peered down again, before whipping my head back after hearing “Hey, blondie.” I looked at Miranda, mouth wide open. She told me I was an idiot for putting the popcorn in there.

All of a sudden I felt something hit my back. I spun around, to find a small blue Gummi Bear on the floor. Before I could snap back something smart to the boys, a whole army of Gummi Bears were thrown up at us. Without thinking, I grabbed a handful of goldfish crackers, and shouted
“Hey Gummi Bear Man, have fun cleaning these up!”
I threw them all, then ducked to avoided the spit balls or booger flicks or any other gross boy things.
“That does nothing, blondie!” They yelled back.
We ran back into the bunk room and found several other girls already getting ready.

“Good thing we missed the rush,” Miranda commented “bad thing I got Gummi Bears in my clothes.”
I sighed, “Well, deal with it” I muttered.
My favorite lady that we bunked with, Ms. Terri, walked out of the room, and immediately came back in. “When you said you were taking a shower I thought you meant in water, not Gummi Bears.” I laughed, “It’s not our fault!” Miranda butted in, “Yeah, like she said it’s not OUR fault. It’s HER’S.” We all laughed.