13 Ways to Survive 8th Grade

Author's note: I went to a program called Odyssey, which is a gifted center, and had a tough time getting...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: I went to a program called Odyssey, which is a gifted center, and had a tough time getting through 8the grade with all thee immense struggles that occurred. I wrote this to help thee next batch of kids.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 15 Next »

Don't Cut

Seems basic enough. I know that when I was in seventh grade, I never imagined the thought of intentionally hurting myself. Kind of seemed stupid? It is. The problem is that when you cut, you don’t think that it’s stupid. Most people think that is necessary. In the moment, it seems like the only way or the best way. What really happens it that you permanently damaging yourself, create an addiction, and you damage your emotions. Most use cutting as a way to distract themselves from something stressful or unhappy or as a punishment on themselves. It may distract you for a little bit, but a) it doesn’t solve the actual problem and b) creates new problems. Some say that it is their only way of coping and others ask the question, “What else would I do?” Psychologists suggest another outlet to express your emotions. Most struggle with writing in a diary or drawing. For me, exercising doesn’t work because I will just overwork myself, just causing me to hurt myself in a different form. Talking to your parents truly does help solve most troubles. They are wise and have gone through a lot of life. If you aren’t getting the support you need or aren’t comfortable enough with your parents knowing the situations you may get into, then talk to someone older. An older sibling, a friend’s parent, a teacher, anyone!! Your peers haven’t been through or experienced enough time on this Earth to help you to the degree you need and are no wiser than you. Also, taking a step back and really analyzing the problem does work. It gives you time to calm down and think of possible solutions. It helps to keep you from jumping into cutting or self harm. Whatever you do to keep your self away from any type of cutting or self harm will make everything a lot simpler.

This book has 2 comments. Post your own now!