13 Ways to Survive 8th Grade

Author's note: I went to a program called Odyssey, which is a gifted center, and had a tough time getting...  Show full author's note »
Author's note: I went to a program called Odyssey, which is a gifted center, and had a tough time getting through 8the grade with all thee immense struggles that occurred. I wrote this to help thee next batch of kids.  « Hide author's note
Chapters:   « Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 15 Next »

Do all your homework right after school

The sooner you begin to enforce this habit, the better. All you really need to do is focus. If you get a snack, some water, sit, down, and organize everything, you will be done before you know it. Some kids have after school activities or appointments. You can still get everything done if you plan in advance. After getting situated, take out all your textbooks, notebooks, and paper. Create three piles. One for things that you can’t do anything (and I mean anything!) on, one for homework due within the next week, and a third for everything you could do to get ahead, whether that’s rewriting your notes (if you take notes) or getting a head start on a big project that isn’t due for a while (such as creating a personal due date timeline). Go through pile number 2 and write down all of the due dates on a planner or calendar. This helps to show what you need to get done first. Remember to also right down anything you have personally made due, such as a big project with mini due dates that you set up for yourself. Work through all this homework in the order that it is due. Once you have worked through all this homework, you will have everything that is due soon done. In a worst case scenario, you won’t finish, but you will have done what is due soonest because you worked on it first. After finishing all the first pile of homework, put it away in your backpack, hopefully in a folder for things to turn in. Having a folder to put your homework in helps too. Go through your third pile and order it from which is most important or due first. You can take a quick break between piles or even eat dinner if necessary. By the end of doing all this, you will have less to do later in the week, over the weekend, and will be more prepared for class. You will also be better equipped for any unexpected interruptions in your schedule. Some nights, you will be too tired to do anything else after finishing ALL of your homework, or you might have an hour till you crash and go to bed. Now that you have everything done, you can do whatever you want without looking at your homework guiltily. This habit will also help you in high school and keep you on track, so you don’t have any missing assignments.

;)Flutterwacken<3 said...
awesome... especially the express your true self.. love it!!!

Dulanan797 said...
I laughed when I saw the title, cuz...... :) yeah. Nice summaries, and you are right. (no, i won't say it again.) amazing job!