Breathe | Teen Ink

Breathe

By NaomiakaNams SILVER, lynwood, California
NaomiakaNams SILVER, Lynwood, California

"A picture is a story, and a story is a movie waiting to happen."

This is my one year old cousin named Sophia Hope. Her middle name is Hope because she was the only baby to survive after her mother had a number of miscarriages. That meaning is a lot stronger now. Nine months ago she was diagnosed with brain cancer. She was announced cancer free on 2-16-12. I got the text when I was in my biology class, just two more classes away from dismissal. I sat frozen in my seat, not listening to a word my teacher said. I had always had hope that she’d make it out cancer free, but now that it was happening….. It was unbelievable. The bell rang and I practically ran outside my classroom into the open air. I stopped for a moment and took a deep breath. What is this place? Is this reality? I couldn’t believe it. The whole world seemed to have changed. I could finally breathe again without worry. As I speed walked to my next class with a smile on my face, I realized something: The world didn’t change. I did. In those stressful nine months I changed, I became a worry all the time person. But now, I feel………… Relieved. Like I can finally take a deep breath and just relax. My point of view on many things have changed because of this little girl who went through hell with a smile on her face. I was holding my breath since she was diagnosed…. And now….. I can breathe. I was numb those whole nine months and now I can breathe again. I’m fine now. Because she’s fine. Team Sophie <3

Similar images

This photo has 4 comments.

Thank you so much, but I can't take all the credit, a friend of mine edited the photo :D

Thank you so much :) And you know what? All it took was for us to just have hope and faith in God. Little Sophie is alive and well and that's because we had hope and we prayed so much. Let me tell you, negativity has NOTHING to do with her healing. So a word of advice: Just have hope and faith in God. With your family and friends and I praying for your little niece, she'll get better, darling. Just have Hope :)

AvaJay GOLD said...
AvaJay GOLD, Spokane, Washington

Let me not pray to be sheltered from dangers, but to be fearless in facing them. Let me not pray for the stilling of my pain, but for the heart to conquer it.
~ Tagore

Awww wow! My niece is three months old and has been in the hospital most of her life. She has a stomach disorder and rare blood disease that could lead to leukemia :( so glad your cousin is better though!!!! :)))))

Volleyballgirl12 BRONZE, Birmingham, Alabama

I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.
Helen Keller

Thats a really sweet story and it brings a whole new meaning and importance to the photo! Nice work!