Snake Girl | Teen Ink

Snake Girl MAG

By Tsgyoon, TORRANCE, California
Tsgyoon, TORRANCE, California

"Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, You comfort me. Your rod and your staff, they comfort me."

-David

I was in Cambodia on a mission trip with some people with my church. We visited Siem Reap's "Floating Village". A series of small huts that literally floats on the Mekong River- some two stories tall. As we head to our destination, a small row boat comes perpendicular to our large motor boat. As the bow of the boat touches the side of ours, a small girl climbs to the edge of the row boat and puts a hand on the our rail. She casually holds up a snake wrapped around her neck with a blank expression. There are no exchange of words, but her intentions are clear- she wants money. Tears well up as I witness the cruelty that life had inflicted upon her. I ask myself, "what can I do?" After that mission trip, I vowed to come back to Cambodia as a medical-photojournalist missionary. I dream of a world where little girls do not have to catch snakes in the reeds in order to salvage some money for a meal. I hope you agree.

Similar images

This photo has 1 comment.

snake girl said...
on Dec. 7 2011 at 8:59 pm

Tim,

I am glad you found the problem of the poor country. I hope you can give them not only money or food but also hope and love from your warm heart. We can change this world to beautiful place for young children with His Love. I am proud of you. Keep studying hard and be a medical doctor. I believe  you can do it!!!. Love you. Daddy