Spirit Rose | Teen Ink

Spirit Rose

By AlyssaL97 BRONZE, lakeland, Florida
AlyssaL97 BRONZE, Lakeland, Florida
1 article 1 photo 1 comment

This flower has a kind of neat story behind it. When I was three my parents got my a dog. He was a full grown German Shepard. He didn't really like people but I could do anything to him. He never left my side and if I was ever hurt he would lay down next to me and bark until someone came to my help. Well when I turned 8 Dax was hit by a truck. He was killed instantly. We buried him in the backyard (Where this photo was taken). That summer my mother and I decided to plant flowers. I panted a rose right over where we buried him. It was the ONLY flower that bloomed. And every year the flower comes back and blooms all over again. My mom says its because Dax's spirit lives within that flower.

Tags: Nature

Similar images

This photo has 2 comments.

bookmouse BRONZE, Chapel Hill, North Carolina
I like how only the flower is in color, it makes it stand out and seem a little supernatural. The story reminds me of an old tale in my family about a flowering bush with a deceased relatives's spirit. I'm sorry for your loss.

on Mar. 28 2013 at 11:13 am
Helena_Noel BRONZE, Burnt Hills, New York

“I'd rather see a sermon than hear one any day; I'd rather one should walk with me than merely tell the way: The eye's a better pupil and more willing than the ear, fine counsel is confusing, but example's always clear.” -Edgar Guest

A beautiful story. I too, have a dog, and I cant bear to think of him being taken away. This reminds me of a tale called "where the red fern grows". Perhaps it would be a good story for you to read.