Home > Art / Photo > Pen & Ink > The Fairy Godmother

The Fairy Godmother

Report abuse
Description:
Based on an illustration by Arthur Rackham from teh fairy tale "Sweetheart Roland", this is my version of the infamous fairy godmother we are always hearing about. Who said she was old?

More by this contributor
About this contributor

This art/photo has 37 comments. Post your own now!

Harebelle This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
This is so beautiful! It really stands out because the lines are so realistic.

MaryTD This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Thank you, Harebelle!

4everyoung15 said...

u need to gives me tips on how to draw wrinkles on clothes!!!!! 

Hey! (I love your username! Very cool!) My main suggestion on wrinkles is to know where they start and where they end... does that make any sense? Basically if you know where on an object - namely clothing - the wrinkles start from (in this picture, they start at her skirt) you can control their flow. Depending on the fabric - heavy versus thin - and the situation - the wind blowing or not - you can decide if they are deeper at the top or the bottom.

Personally, I think wrinkles are be... (more »)

4everyoung15 replied...
Aug. 16, 2011 at 9:51 am
thanx!!! ill keep that in mind 4 my next drawing!!! XD this really helps!!!

prettylittlewriterThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Wow, this is really good. I wish I could draw like that. 

Serendipity_Pen said...
Wow, I love the fabric and shading in this picture!  I wish I could draw people as well as this. Well done!! :~{D

Thanks! I just wish the moon weren't quite so wobbly...

StrangeJade This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Wow! Lovely lines, excellent composition... this is just generally brilliant. :) What kind of pen did you use for it?

Aug. 9, 2011 at 12:32 am
Thank you! I used a Monte Verde fountain pen - the kind that you have to fill with ink yourself - and Parker ink. For her hair and some of the thicker lines, I had to use a sharpie. We recently got a scanner, so I am able to use it instead of my digital camera, and the quality of the image was nice compared to my previous images!

luckynumber_13 replied...
i like this alot, the lines are so neat and clean. :) i havent progressed to using fountain pens yet. im still working with ink pens like pigma micron. :/ any tips on using fountain pens?

StrangeJade This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Ditto on the Micron thing. :P They're really great and all, but the nib pens just look so good, you know? And then I'm utterly terrified that if I do try nibs, I'll make some terrible mistake...

Hey, thank you, luckynumber_13 and StrangeJade! I've had my ups and downs with both kinds of pens. The most noticable difference that I've noticed is that with a fountain pen, the lines are much, much thicker, so if you are doing small details, you might need to use a different pen. Parker ink dries quicker than most, but you still need to be very careful not to smudge it. (See my picture Madara for an example... I smudged it in the final stage.) Also...

(continued from above)... my fountain pen is heavier than most other pens, so it takes getting used to. Different pens are different weights and styles, of course, so some fountain pens may not be that way. I would suggest starting on the side opposite of your dominant hand (for example, I am right handed, so I would start on the left-hand side of the paper and move to the right) because that way you would be less likely to smudge the wet ink by running your arm over it. (I have done that too... (more »)

Sorry to keep posting so much! I guess I'm just too eager to share...

The only thing I can suggest is to practice until your hand is steady! That's what I did. I never used to use my actual fountain pen on any of myt actual artwork, just scraps of paper, until my pen ran out and I had to use it. I've found that when drawing black and white pictures, I prefer not to use too much shading. The shading I do use is either absolute or the cross-hatching lines (example is the dress). Obviousl... (more »)

Aug. 10, 2011 at 11:58 am
Wow! Thanks loads, that was quite helpful. :)

So glad it was worth your while to read it! (I know it was long... sorry.)

luckynumber_13 replied...

thank you very much MaryTD! This was worth my while to read, definitely. I've wanted to use fountain pens ever since i started inking my pictures, but after one failed attept I gave up. :P (I wasnt even using the right type-i was using calligraphy pens-- >.< fail)

Soooo, MaryTD and StrangeJade (love the name! XD) could you pretty please take a look at my work and comment on it??? I desperately need feedback. Thank you for your help Mary!