New Teen Ink Book: Bullying Under Attack Barnes & Noble Amazon

Home > Art / Photo > Other Images > Conflicted

Conflicted

Report abuse
Description:
Conflict between the desire to reach out but the hesitation of being exposed

This art/photo has 12 comments. Post your own!

bmf22 said...
Jun. 1, 2011 at 5:22 am:
wow. so pretty.

Carlos L. said...
Wow this is amazing. I love the color of this. Its like the hands are dreaming.

kiwi12 said...
This is amazing. Beautiful.

nightsinmycar21 said...
Jun. 16, 2010 at 11:13 am:
(Nightsinmycar21 is me by the way- I just changed my sn)

EvelynGrayeThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Apr. 11, 2010 at 8:21 am:
I was reading the comments made, and, Ms. Beth, I have a question. Was your goal to draw attention to the hands?

nightsinmycar21 replied...
Jun. 16, 2010 at 11:11 am :
Yes. :) It's fun to see peoples' comments because they come up with very creative ideas as to what pieces "mean" and things like that. This was a very conceptual piece having to do with the conflict of wanting to reach out vs. wanting to be isolated. It also has to do with the hands being very energetic- hands have power, energy running through them- the hands do what they want regardless of what the person wants in their heart/mind. So in this painting, the hands are opening up to the outside, ... (more »)

AlexandraR said...
I love the color used in the piece.

Luke S. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Beth, it was not my intention to either discredit your artistic merit or to come of in any way as harsh. I apologize if my tone conveyed a sense of personal degradation. My comment was formed simply to create balance between unimaginable, indescribable depth and brief moments of fault. Your piece is indeed very interesting, and I would not spend the time commenting and critiquing your work if I did not respect it. My suggestion was not for you to create photo-realism (which I find to be quit... (more »)

Beth H. said...
Luke, I accept constructive criticism but what you have mentioned to "improve on" wasn't exactly what I was going for when I made the piece. I was not looking to make it proportional or photo-realistic.
I was simply going for emotion. I think you may have been a little harsh, seeing as what you mentioned is in no way what my piece was about.

Compositionally, your piece finds it's greatest success. The technical quality, however, is lacking. The hair has been drawn rather awkwardly, and the face consists of precious little quality. Proportionally, the eyes you have added are noticeably too small and close together, positioned strangely on the head. The hands/arms were drawn well, but in a very different style from the rest. The unnatural sheen works well for you, and the face and hair would benefit from the same light source.... (more »)

Doff1952 said...
jumps out at me. very raw emotion.

basilnana said...
The depth of this image can't be captured with words but comes through in feelings. The ambiguity of ethnicity and gender simplifies the emotion that the blue figure is experiencing in a way that makes me immediately relate. Her arms not being able to hide her eyes, perhaps because she doesn't really want to hide them, this momentary hesitation that I've felt before... whenever the thought comes up, of going against the current in a way that my gut says is right. Just... Very powerful.