Assassin's Creed Syndicate | Teen Ink

Assassin's Creed Syndicate MAG

October 31, 2016
By Introspecter BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York, New York
Introspecter BRONZE, Brooklyn, New York, New York
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

What do hijacking carriages, rope launchers, and hidden blades have in common? Trademarks of “Assassin’s Creed Syndicate,” these useful gadgets are only part of the shenanigans. Developed by Ubisoft, “Syndicate” is the latest installment of this popular franchise. When in peril, worry not, for the killers with a cause do their best to protect your freedom.

This game’s plot is fine at best. You play as Evie and Jacob Frye, twin assassins who plan on conquering London and putting a stop to the reign of Crawford Starrick, who controls the city’s criminal world. The twins’ colliding personalities keep their mission in peril, as does the city. The game has many side quests, with interesting ways to complete them. For example, some missions allow the player access to dynamite and nitroglycerin.

Many of the characters have clearly defined personalities, showing that Ubisoft put effort into the quieter moments. In the short intermissions Starrick appears, his demeanor suggests a psychotic individual who is determined to keep London in the palm of his hand. When you see the mask break, he punishes those below him, including the citizens of his city.

At its core, “Syndicate” is a stealth game, but the player can fall back on combat. You can enter hostile areas any way available, and take out enemies using weapons including throwing knives. For a more upfront approach, players can assassinate their victims with the hidden blade, a signature of the series. If you’d rather confront enemies, you can use brass knuckles, kukri, and even a cane sword. You can also engineer havoc with the help of the Rooks, a gang the twins employ. Carriages are a new feature, and players can engage in open combat using them, while moving. Even crowds can be weaponized, allowing social stealth and a way to sneak behind enemy lines. Bad scrapes can be evaded with the use of smoke bombs. There is nothing you can’t try in this game.

The atmosphere of London is encompassed when the music shifts. Just exploring the area gives way to beautiful, ambient pieces. Many of the songs are reminiscent of the Victorian Age, and going into combat triggers music as fast-paced as the fight. The environment seeks to simulate the past, with accents, districts, and a notable difference in populations. Non-playable characters show how problematic the times really were, and react to your actions. They run when your acts are abhorrent. They applaud if your deeds are good-hearted. The world reacts with the mere whiff of your presence.

Following this series’ tradition, there is a wealth of side content, allowing the player quick relief from boredom. You can hijack cargo or raid boats. You can even try to take over gang strongholds. Or, you can be a completionist, ready to get achievements and collectibles at any turn. Unfortunately, its main problem is balancing. Once you conquer, you cannot capitulate.

Regardless, this game succeeds in immersing its players. It allows leverage between story and exploration. The music gives depth, and its missions are open ended. As with every game in this series, “Syndicate” effectively expands upon its predecessors. Just make sure you are on the right side of the hidden blade. Rated M for Mature.