The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim | Teen Ink

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim MAG

April 30, 2014
By Amanda Flores BRONZE, New York, New York
Amanda Flores BRONZE, New York, New York
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

You let out a breath you ­didn't know you were holding as you watch Alduin fall to the ground, dead. You wipe the blood from your Daedric armor and face the swarm of cowering faces. Many of the spirits of Sovngarde give you praise and thanks, but they mean little to you. After all, there was an ancient prophecy that foretold your arrival and power. For your Thu'um is the strongest, and you are Dovahkiin, the savior of Skyrim!

“The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim” was released a few years ago for Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 3, and Xbox 360. About 10 million copies were sold in the first eight months. It received great comments from Jason Schreier of Wired, who described “Skyrim” as a “Viking-inspired treasure trove of flavor and charm.”

The main objective of this fifth installment in the Elder Scrolls saga is to defeat Alduin, a dragon that has been dubbed the “Nordic god of destruction,” and to save Skyrim and its people. Set in the lands of Tamriel, “Skyrim” is a great example of a fantasy-action role-playing game.

You begin as a prisoner whose execution is prevented by Alduin's return. As you continue, you encounter numerous enemies and allies that either help or hinder your quest, which eventually culminates in a battle with Alduin, who has been resurrecting dragons.

The game can be played in either first or third person. You can customize your character's appearance by choosing details as significant as race or as minute as nose size. Some races may benefit the type of character you want you create. For example, choosing a High Elf is a good pick for someone who wants to be a mage character. It adds 50 extra points of Magicka (the energy needed to cast spells) as well as five skill points to all magic-related skills (like destruction or alteration). This game's flexibility will please gamers searching for a multi-talented character.

This installment of the Elder Scrolls saga has many changes and advances in the graphics and gameplay. The melee is more realistic compared to the previous Elder game, “Oblivion.” It even uses a new engine, the creation engine, which varies the environments and advances the game's graphics. It also features an improved version of “Oblivion'”s Radiant A.I. system, which enhances non-player characters. Their activities continue even when the Dovahkiin, or Dragonborn, interact with the NPCs.

Overall, this game is a complex but extremely fun way to spend your time. It allows you to step into a world where you can be the hero, where you are free to choose your own path and develop your character however you like. With countless adventures that continue even after the main storyline, you'll never tire of this great game.