BioShock ­Infinite | Teen Ink

BioShock ­Infinite MAG

April 8, 2013
By 15donatom GOLD, Milford, Massachusetts
15donatom GOLD, Milford, Massachusetts
10 articles 0 photos 0 comments

“BioShock Infinite” has restored my faith in video games. In a time when online DRM and micro transactions rule, it's a shining example for other games. This one executes its goals so flawlessly you may forget you're playing a video game. I was so captivated that I finished it in a single sitting – 10 hours straight – powering through the campaign with an ear-to-ear grin.

“BioShock Infinite” tells the story of Booker DeWitt, who is looking for a girl in the flying city of Columbia and aims to return her to his employers in New York. But what seems like a simple job turns out to be much more challenging. The game will send you through the streets of Columbia, fighting various automatons and armed soldiers. Everything you fight is perfectly varied, and the game never gets stale or repetitive.

At no point will you be able to guess the outcome of the story. You are given hints that will help you begin to draw conclusions, but the ending will leave you scratching your head. “BioShock Infinite” has one of the best and most refreshing stories I have played in a long time. The story alone is worth the play, never mind the amazing graphics.

When I first ascended into the sky and set foot on the streets of Columbia, my mouth dropped. Seeing the beautiful environment and architecture, the light peeking through the cracks in the buildings, and the floating zeppelins cutting through the clouds caused my heart to skip a few beats.

As I walked through the streets, I could hear the chatter of the townspeople discussing their almighty prophet, and the merchants hawking their goods. I was immediately transported back to 1912 and everything felt perfect.

As the game progresses you will see Columbia turn into a gloomy environment. The music, the look, and the location all make the game dreary and creepy without gimmicky scare tactics. I must warn you that if you're looking for a survival-horror game, you will be sorely disappointed.

The gameplay will be familiar to many. You will deal with various foes using guns in a first-person-shooter style mixed with various vigors, each with their own advantages. The gameplay is smooth and never boring or repetitive. The mix of enemies, weapons, and vigors will keep you entertained. You can attack while flying on sky rails, adding a new dimension. There are three main stats that Booker can strengthen: health, shield, and salt capacity. The game rewards going off the beaten track with useful items like gear and ­upgrades to the stat of your choosing.

One of the most impressive aspects of the gameplay is how perfectly Elizabeth's AI is ­programmed. She will throw valuable resources like ammunition and health kits at you during combat to help you win, but she never gets in the way and her AI is terrific.

The only problem I could see players having is the fact that this is a full-priced game but has only a 10- to 15-hour campaign with no multiplayer features. However, the game has huge replay value.

“BioShock Infinite” is a truly incredible game. Every aspect comes together to make an outstanding experience. It's easily the best game of 2013. Don't miss one of the most compelling stories and endings I have played in a long time. It's rated M for mature.