Supergirl | Teen Ink

Supergirl

By AlexaDiamant PLATINUM, South Plainfield, New Jersey
AlexaDiamant PLATINUM, South Plainfield, New Jersey

Don't you worry your pretty little mind, people throw rocks at things that shine.

It's a bird! It's a plane! No, It's Supergirl! The CW's got a new superhero and she wears a red cape. The first episode aired on October 26, 2015 and had over 16.92 million viewers! Now that's pretty freakin' cool if you ask me. We get a first look into Supergirl's beginnings in the first episode, "Pilot." In this episode the audience is introduced to the main character, Kara Danvers, or Kara Zor-El, (Melissa Benoist) living a day in her 'normal' life as an assistant at CatCo Worldwide Media. We also get a look at her best friend, Winslow Schott, Jr., or Winn, (Jeremy Jordan) who also works in the building with her.

Kara's sister, Alex, (Chyler Leigh) is on a plane that happens to have an engine malfunction and Kara forces herself to go out and save her sister to later on be named Supergirl by her boss, Cat Grant (Calista Flockhart). Although few people know who she is such as her close family and friends, Alex still worries about people easily finding out. Winn helps Kara make her superhero suit and, like any other hero starts off, she makes a few mistakes with trying to control her powers when using them after all of these years hiding them.

In the first season, we get to see many villains rising from the shadows to take on Supergirl and we also get to learn more about Kara's past life on Krypton. Her cousin Kal-El, better known as Clark Kent and Superman, (Tyler Hoechlin) teams up with her in season two to have some fun and defeat crime together. The show has a crossover during season two with The CW's other renowned superhero, The Flash (Grant Gustin). The two heroes meet after Barry Allen (The Flash) ends up on Kara's Earth by running too fast. The two heroes are both goofballs and made the episode a very enjoyable one with an interesting plot.

Most of season two deals with new emerging villains and Kara's personal life with relationships and her job. Her boss, Cat, knows she was made for so much more than an assistant and she shows her this through tough love and sarcasm. Many aliens are commonly found on Earth and most people fear them. Kara mainly fights other aliens that are almost, but not really, as tough as she is. This makes the storyline much more interesting as we look into the lives of the aliens of destroyed planets and warzones such as Hank Henshaw, or J'onn J'onzz, (David Harewood), founder of the Department of Extranormal Operations, or D.E.O., for short.

The duration of this hour-long show provides excitement and action for its viewers and does not disappoint! Executive producer, Greg Berlanti, does not waste time on unimportant details and gets straight to the point of the episode. Much is explained through the series that follows the lines of some old comic books. Recently released was season three and we get more incite into characters such as Lena Luthor (Katie McGrath), Reign (Odette Annable), and Mon-El (Christopher Wood). Lena is Kara's trusty friend who is extremely resourceful and an empowering woman. Reign is ultimately Kara's worst and most dangerous villain in the show because she is stronger than Kara and unpredictable.

Mon-El, who we see earlier in season two, is Kara's main love interest who she never thought she would love so much because he is a Daxamite and she is a Kryptonian. The two don't get along in the beginning, but towards the end make an incredible connection that is impenetrable. However, he ends up leaving Earth due to lead poisoning and does not come back until season three. When he comes back he is from the future and is already married to someone else. Heart broken Kara struggles to get over Mon-El while fighting Reign and dealing with her friends problems. Kara is definitely a well-rounded and warm-hearted person who is an extremely easy character to fall in love with. Keep up the amazing work, The CW. I know you will always have my attention!