The Flash | Teen Ink

The Flash MAG

November 21, 2017
By aberr SILVER, NYC, New York
aberr SILVER, NYC, New York
9 articles 0 photos 0 comments

“My name is Barry Allen, and I am the fastest man alive.” This iconic first line to every episode of the CW show, “The Flash,” is quick to draw viewers’ attention and leaves them intrigued about what the show has to offer. Based on the DC Comics, “The Flash” is a remarkable action-filled series with a captivating plot and characters that viewers can connect with. Developed by Greg Berlanti, Andrew Kreisberg, David Nutter, and Geoff Jones, the show centers on the origin of the dashing, suited superhero known as the Flash. With its witty humor and action-packed scenes, I fell in love with this show in a flash.

The show stars Grant Gustin as forensic scientist Barry Allen, who gains superhuman speed and uses his abilities to fight criminals and protect his city. Along with his superhero life, Allen’s loved ones are each given their own unique role and story in the show, like his love interest, played by Candice Patton. Actors like Carlos Valdes and Tom Cavanagh portray their characters with quirky personalities that the audience begins to love. Gustin does an incredible job with his role as Barry Allen by flawlessly showing both the noble and human side of him. Valdes plays the comedic role of Cisco Ramon with his innocence and heroism. The show also displays the unique characteristics of the characters, like Barry’s social-awkwardness and Cisco’s goofy personality. The commendable acting is certainly a big asset to the show’s success, including its nominations for countless awards, like two People’s Choice Awards and an Emmy. The characters of “The Flash” are so marvelously and accurately portrayed that viewers can’t help but form a sentimental attachment to them.

After beginning its fourth season, “The Flash” is, unsurprisingly, still at the top of the popularity charts. The show never fails to keep the audience’s interest going, with the protagonists facing new threats and masterminds each season. I was hooked from the very first episode of the series, drawn by the fascinating plotline and the heartfelt connection with the individual roles. Brilliantly depicted by the show’s actors, the plot itself never seems to get boring or confusing. With climactic plot twists and unexpected conspiracies, viewers are never disappointed with the content. Small but critical details also contribute to the storytelling of the narrative. Part of what makes the show so appealing are the highly detailed and precise costumes and sets. The physical designs of the show, like the suits, are remarkable. It’s no wonder the series has gotten more than six award nominations commending its visual and eye-catching qualities. For instance, The Flash’s iconic burgundy suit, with the symbolic lightning bolt emblem at the center of the chest, is certainly notable. We can see Caitlin Snow’s (Danielle Panabaker) dark transformation through her costumes. The storyline is expressed through the detailed, precise designs and visuals in the show.

The Flash is known for his super speed, but the energy of the show is shown through some of his stunning abilities. The show displays fascinating use of special effects, ranging from Allen zipping through the streets, to other dimensions. The visual effects keep my eyes glued to the screen so I can keep up with all the excitement. Even effects like the common slow-motion scenes never get boring.

“The Flash” is not just about the stereotypical hero who always ends up saving the day; the show displays the imperfections of one, and the mistakes that even superheroes can make. The Flash pulls you in with every episode, and you’ll be in no hurry for the hour to end.