Stranger Things | Teen Ink

Stranger Things

April 28, 2017
By Harlee321 BRONZE, Milk River, Alberta
Harlee321 BRONZE, Milk River, Alberta
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

When I first encountered the show stranger things I was just walking by the TV and saw that my mom was watching a show with a weird looking monster emerging out of a wall and after that I was instantly intrigued.  The show had tremendous success and it released the first season on the streaming service  Netflix on July 15, 2016. Created by The Duffer Brothers it was the perfect match for a great science fiction show that is bound to make you want to watch the whole season in one night.

In the show you follow four boys, Will (Noah Shnapp), Mike (Finn Wolf hard), Dustin (Gaten Matarazzo), and Lucas (Caleb McLaughlin). Living in a 1980s era small town you wouldn’t expect there to be a parallel universe sprouting up under your feet. But one night when Will goes missing on a bike ride home from the boys’ hangout, everything changes. The four boys, Joyce (Winona Ryder) and Chief Hopper (David Harbour) Begin what they didn’t know would be a groundbreaking journey to find Will. On this journey they meet a girl who calls herself Eleven (Millie Bobby Brown) who has telekinesis powers to save them from blood thirsty monsters, bullies and the mad scientist Martin Brenner (Matthew Modine) who is trying to keep the upside down a secret from the whole world.

Millie Bobby Brown does an excellent job at portraying Eleven in this show. Since Eleven doesn’t talk much Millie had to “talk with her face” and it is very entertaining to see how her facial expressions portray what her character has been through. The four boys were also non comparable to their fellow adult actors. Each of them shows how flexible their acting skills are from the saddest scenes to the most aggressive scenes of the show. Chief Hopper is a dedicated cop who is unsure of who to trust. His tearful backstory will show you how vulnerable yet strong he is. Not letting his past destroy his future he is a very important character to the show.

From the childlike nature of the show to the horror like scenes, Stranger things will leave you in a state of suspense throughout the entire show.  It’s a great show if you are not sure if your into science fiction films and after watching it I’m sure you will be as I wasn’t either. I definitely recommend to watch this show because so many others and myself have endless conversations about what is going to happen in season two and how it left us all in a trance of the shows creative and mind bending thoughts.