Steven Universe | Teen Ink

Steven Universe

By LoeyLo GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
LoeyLo GOLD, Brooklyn, New York

The society you’ve lived with your entire life plans to ruin a lively planet, motivating you to challenge them despite your limited power. Rallying a small army, you manage to win, but many die and you are exiled forever. Such is the fate of the Crystal Gems, a rebel group led by Rose Quartz that rebels against their matriarchy, Homeworld. Part of Cartoon Network’s TV show, Steven Universe, the remaining renegades, Pearl, Garnet, and Amethyst are tasked with maintaining the safety of Earth, the object Homeworld attempts to tarnish, while raising Rose Quartz’s child, Steven Universe. Half human and half gem, Steven is a biological mystery to his guardians, but they form a familial bond with Steven and continue to defend Earth as forces appear that endanger the planet. Each episode focuses on Steven’s experiences and describes them brilliantly with perceptive characters, expressive animation, and fitting music.

Steven Universe attracts people of all ages. In the first episode, “Gem Glow,” Steven attempts to unlock his powers by consuming ice cream sandwiches, an ebullient and pure plot ideal for youths. Moreover, humor and visuals are nonviolent—for instance, if a gem is fatally wounded, they “poof” and retreat into their gems, leaving no trace of gore. However, there are deeper, more mature topics as well. Poofing only works if a gemstone is intact—when it is shattered, gems spend an eternity broken apart, trying to piece themselves back together. Heavy concepts like this perpetual insanity entice adults who tend to think deeply, but are subtle enough to avoid traumatizing an innocent kid.

Many people can also take interest in the universal but original characters. Pearl is a resolute crystal gem that is graceful and protective, though she judges herself harshly and has trouble thinking independently. In contrast, Garnet is tough, wise, and reserved, but she feels the strain of being the figure her team looks up to. Amethyst is a free spirit that is feisty and boisterous, but perceives herself as an error. Finally, Steven is a positive, compassionate child that keeps the team enthusiasm up despite struggling to learn how to be a gem warrior. The stark disparities between these characters create a dynamic that makes conflicts and relationships that are relatable and realistic.

Articulate animation builds upon these personalities, allowing people to visualize them better. As an example, Steven’s facial expressions are exaggerated to show his buoyancy, silliness, and sensitivity. Plus, his short height represents how he physically and figuratively looks up to the Crystal Gems. In addition, the energy, or lack of, contained within every movement elaborates on their feelings, making every scene lucid. For instance, Amethyst, tending to be impulsive, likes to act with emphasis, which is depicted through her loose and aggressive motion. Every detail is deliberate and adds layers to the gems.

Besides the characterization and motifs, music (much of which is posted on Aivi & Surasshu’s SoundCloud) does a superb job adding to the meaning of situations too. For example, the musical themes of the Crystal Gems reflect and further define their traits (e.g., piano for Pearl’s elegance and chiptune for Steven’s naive happiness). Music elaborates on emotion, as well—in “Frybo,” the fifth episode overall, the background music accompanying a speech Steven’s friend makes about the burden of growing enhances the somber mood that comes with letting go of childhood indulgences. Additionally, lyrical soundtracks accentuate philosophies applicable to both reality and the plot, like with “Here Comes a Thought.” It’s about finding peace in times of distress, but is illustrated using gem fusion, something particular to gem culture that lets them combine physically and mentally in order to gain an advantage in battle. Steven Universe’s songs are impactful and make the animation even more powerful.

All these strong elements come together to create entertainment that has collected numerous accomplishments. Running for more than four years and counting, Steven Universe attracts over one million viewers every episode. It has been nominated for two Emmy Awards and five Annie Awards (given for outstanding animations). Furthermore, the show won seven Behind the Voice Actors Awards and was nominated for six more in the past three years, conveying that the voice actors perform remarkably when acting as their characters. The show has achieved many feats within its relatively recent existence, indicating its potential for a prosperous future.

Steven Universe crafts a plot with purposeful characters and appropriate audio and video. Even if the idea of civilizations in space that conquer other planets seems farfetched, the applications of the underlying ideas are very useful in today’s society. Plus, the beautiful characters, music, and storytelling exercise the imagination thoroughly. When aliens invade Earth, remember to believe in Garnet, Amethyst, and Pearl (and Steven!).