School Days | Teen Ink

School Days

August 14, 2016
By theheavymetalist ELITE, Winter Haven, Florida
theheavymetalist ELITE, Winter Haven, Florida
247 articles 0 photos 57 comments

Favorite Quote:
Take me As I Am - James Labrie of Dream Theater


I'm back and am finally on my way to high school. Speaking of which, this anime seems to be about the life of the three high schoolers Itou Makoto, Katsura Kotonoha and Saionji Sekai. This is arguably one of the more controversial anime that have been produced out there.


We start off in a train introducing Makoto and Katsura as it seems the both start to notice each other on the train, for Makoto, probably the first time. Makoto remembers a school legend that if you take a picture of your crush and keep as a screensaver, things will go well between both of you. Later we meet Sekai who is the main "trainwreck" of the anime. She decides to help Makoto with Katsura and basically be a wing woman. Little did he know, Sekai had a crush on him too the whole time, which explains these "practices" that Sekai and Makoto have and that's where crazy train starts going out of control. Later at the pool in episode 5, Sekai and Makoto seem to both confess to each other later followed by Sekai saying that he's still with Katsura. One of the reasons why people hate this anime is because of Makoto and the route he took, relationship wise, throughout the anime. Technically speaking, he wasn't exactly a nice guy, but Sekai is likely what lead him down this path, even it was unintentionally. Later on in the series Makoto starts to cheat on Katsura and actually spend more time with Sekai instead. Sekai's friend Setsuna realizes this and at one point in the anime even tries to completely shut him off from any communication with Katsura even. A festival comes and it seems even after Katsura was likely traumatized by the sight Sekai and Makoto doing something that can't really be said here, she is forgiving and still wants to call Makoto his boyfriend. Meanwhile, Makoto and Sekai do just about everything and back and even dances by the fire at the end of the festival. Then, Sekai does the unthinkable. In the last couple episodes of the series, she says that she is pregnant in front of Makoto, it takes alot of courage even in that situation, just so she can keep Makoto for herself. It looks like at this point, Sekai reached a new low here in the anime, which is surprising considering she did also betray Setsuna. It was all a lie by the way as Katsura reveals at the end. Speaking of which, now we get to the ending. Some people would say this ending is either complete bull or was a little too harsh considering what Makoto did, the latter I can kind of agree with considering all he did do was cheat on Katsura, for the most part. Sekai, who killed off Makoto by the way, did also get killed off by Kats ura to prove that she was lying about being pregnant and to probably get vengeance for killing Makoto. Sekai is a little bit more deserving a punishment like this considering the more convoluted and escalating path of defiance she took. I bet that there would have been people wondering what happened to those two.


Despite the stuff I just said, the anime is pretty good. The characters may not be the most relatable characters in the world, with a cheater, an easy forgiver, and th donkey, it has an interesting story in my opinion and although some of these characters might take things about to far, ahem Sekai, the ending was the thing that put it to rest and had some of them get what they deserved.


I give this a 7.5/10. I would recommend it if nothing else because it is only 12 episodes, so you can basically just finish it off in one go and not waste too much time if you hate it.


The author's comments:

Fun fact: Sekai in English means World.