Psych | Teen Ink

Psych

Psych is a show about a young man named Shawn Spencer who was raised by his father, a detective, named Henry Spencer. Due to this Shawn was taught to be a very observant person who has called the Santa Barbara police department at multiple points and helped them solve crimes just saying what he had observed. Eventually, the police begin to suspect him of being a partner in crime in multiple incidents who sold out his team for money or trust. He is arrested and manages to convince the department with his ridiculously specific observation skills that he is actually a psychic who knows what’s going to happen or what has happened in an area. The only people who know the truth are his best friend Burton Guster (Gus), and his father, who used to work at the Santa Barbara police department and manages to convince them that Shawn is indeed a psychic.

The part that makes this show so great is the amounts of thought that goes into the writing summing up to make both serious moments and mostly, hilarious moments. However, this show is tv14 so if you have children or do not appreciate inappropriate humor at times I would not recommend this show; though the amount of actual distasteful moments is minute.

While this show is quite hilarious and lighthearted and mostly comical, it also makes you think and feel anxious at times. Throughout the show Shawn gradually becomes closer the the people around him, including a detective he has quite a crush on, Juliet O’Hara, her partner who Shawn originally thought was just a jerk, but eventually learns he’s just protective over the people he loves, Carlton Lassiter, and even the head of department, Karen Vick.
Along with Gus, he solves many crimes that no one else was able to solve quite right, which does make others suspicious; but he proves that he’s on their side and is helping the police department many times. Although his father is not supportive of the idea of his son faking to be a psychic, he helps him through many situations and their bonds grow stronger. Psych looks like just another comedy from the common point of view, but behind the wall of laughter, there is a story and relationships advancing throughout the show.

I just really like the show