Gravity Falls | Teen Ink

Gravity Falls

By BuddingRose GOLD, Irwin, Pennsylvania
BuddingRose GOLD, Irwin, Pennsylvania

"A person's a person, no matter how small." -Dr.Suess

With the series finale around the corner, we must prepare ourselves to say goodbye to one of Disney's best shows. We know it is hard, but we must also remember what made Gravity Falls different from other Saturday morning cartoons. 

The main premise of the show is about twins Dipper and Mabel spend the summer at thier Great Uncle Stan's tourist trap, the Mystery Shack. However, things are not what they seem, as everything from gnomes to lake monsters lead the kids, handyman Soos, and Dipper's love interest, Wendy into a series of adventures. Seems like the average kid's show, right? Wrong!

What set this appart from other shows at the time was the seemingly original villans and situations that we have never seen. Such examples are a copier that can clone human beings, a president frozen in peanut brittle, and even a ominous secret soceity known as the Society of the Blind Eye. Most shows targeted to children have classic boogeymen like vampires, ghosts, and zombies. 

Also, unlike most children shows, Gravity Falls is no stranger to modern trends among it's target audience. For example, in the episode "Soos and the Real Girl", Soos attempts a cursed dating simulator staring an anime repersentation of a school girl by the name of "Gifany". As Soos dates another girl by the name of Molly, Gifany causes the animatronics at a Chuck-E-Cheese-like pizza palor to come to life and attack Soos, his girlfriend and the twins, referencing the hit game Five Nights at Freddy's. Also in the episode where Gruncle Stan attempts to run for mayor (and fails at it), the "One Does not Simply" meme is referenced. Finally, in the first part of the three part series finale, Wendy talks about how Robbie was "taking selfies" when he was abducted by the show's main villan, Bill Cypher. 

Likewise, the show didn't sugar-coat the lessons learned by the twins in thier wild adventures. For example, An unitentionally comedic reference to puberty is dropped in the episode "Carpet Diem". Also, when Dipper meets Stan's brother and is given a chance to leave with him, he must talk it out with Mabel, who will miss her new friends, Candy and Grenda, and will also miss Dipper if he leaves. Nice one, Disney...

Finally, the plot and character development went deeper than any other show, espically with the cyphers and theories surronding them. We truely know the characters and truly care about them. Also, the plot took a seemingly dark turn after the first season, therefore concluding that something large was going to happen by the second season.

All in all, even if we cry our eyes out at the Twins final adventure, we will always love the show for what it is. 

WARNING: May contain spoilers