Parks and Recreation | Teen Ink

Parks and Recreation MAG

November 27, 2015
By Nextmia GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
Nextmia GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
13 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The small town of Pawnee, Indiana, boasts many of the most visited and talked about attractions in all of … well, Pawnee. Tourists are most likely to find an abundance of raccoons, rude residents, and grotesque murals of Native Americans and pilgrims in the middle of a violent scrimmage. Despite these (many) downfalls, the relentless Leslie Knope (Amy Poehler) works passionately to better her beloved hometown by taking advantage of what she considers to be her important position as an employee in the Parks and Recreation department.

“Parks and Recreation” is a fast-paced, hilarious sitcom based solely on mocking the usual office dynamic and the inactivity of government. Leslie and her best friend, Ann Perkins (Rashida Jones), attempt to fill a pit near Ann’s house and build a children’s park there. Unfortunately, the task proves more difficult than expected, with red tape, lack of funding, and Leslie’s coworkers who really don’t seem to care. This plot is brilliantly carried for a total for seven seasons, with each episode being another ridiculous step toward their goal.

The supporting actors and actresses are incredibly well cast; Tom Haverford (Aziz Ansari) is constantly plotting get-rich-quick schemes that blow up in his face. Ron Swanson (Nick Offerman) is Leslie’s boss (who also happens to hate the government); his tyrannical humor and cool mustache make him my favorite character.

“Parks and Recreation” is filmed with a camera style similar to “The Office,” which was the inspiration for this show. Although the two are similar in concept, the plots are completely different. In fact, it is “Parks and Recreation”s uniqueness that makes it so entertaining. Key points in the stories’ development – such as the characters’ struggles with the evil Councilman Jamm and Leslie’s forbidden office romance – keep the plot fresh. The cinematography includes the camera panning out to deliver many hilarious facial reactions and one-liners.

All these elements come together to form a perfect blend of comedy and realism. Be prepared to grit your teeth with frustration at the ridiculous mountain of red tape between Leslie and her goals, then laugh at the underlying humor throughout the series. I would give this show a 10 out of 10, but most importantly, it’s Ron Swanson approved!