Star Trek | Teen Ink

Star Trek MAG

By Vwriter SILVER, New York, New York
Vwriter SILVER, New York, New York

Ever wonder what it would be like to travel through outer space? The crew of the starship Enterprise in the 1966 television series “Star Trek” can show you. This stellar science fiction show follows Captain James T. Kirk (William Shatner), Science Officer Spock (Leonard Nimoy), and Dr. Leonard “Bones” McCoy (DeForest Kelley) on their mission to explore space.
Captain Kirk is the level-headed, no-nonsense leader of the Enterprise. He always knows what to do in a tight spot, and his sense of justice leads him to solve the problems of every being he meets. Although he has a tendency to run around shirtless and fall in love every other day, the ship couldn’t have a better captain.
Science Officer Spock is Kirk’s second-in-command. He’s half Vulcan, a highly intellectual alien race with no emotions, and half human. However, Spock prefers everyone to think of him as completely Vulcan; he’s insulted whenever his human side is brought up. On the rare occasion he does show emotion, Kirk and Bones jump at the opportunity to tease him.
Leonard “Bones” McCoy is the doctor of the ship. He’s not afraid to (loudly) voice his opinion whenever he deems it necessary, and often exclaims his catch phrase: “I’m a doctor, not a …!” (For example, in the episode “The Devil in the Dark,” after Kirk tells Bones to heal the injuries of a rock-like alien creature, Bones says, “I’m a doctor, not a bricklayer!”) Bones is a good friend of Kirk and Spock, and is always by their side whenever problems arise.
The crew of the Enterprise encounters giant parasites, time-travel machines, adorable furry creatures that multiply at astonishing rates, and many new planets, each with its unique inhabitants on their journey through “the final frontier.”
Created by Gene Roddenberry, the show is original and exciting. It aired for three seasons with 25 episodes each. The sounds and costumes are just as creative as the script. The crewmembers’ uniforms are color-coded. Commanders wear gold (Kirk), blue uniforms are for science and medical (Spock and Bones) personnel, and red uniforms are for engineering and security. A running joke with Trekkies is that the red-shirts are always the ones to die – and for the most part it’s true.
The variety of sounds that are played throughout the ship – the phasers, transporter, doors opening, and even the computer’s monotone voice – all make the technology seem real. The music is catchy and creative. For example, the same tune plays during every dramatic moment or turning point to alert the viewer something has changed.
“Star Trek” was one of the most popular shows of its time, and is still widely watched today. The series won several awards. Leonard Nimoy, who played Captain Spock, died last year and is missed across the globe. However, he will always be remembered for his role. This show sparked the creation of four other shows and several movies.
“Star Trek” is a unique, exciting show that has remained in people’s minds since its creation. Once you realize all of the idiosyncrasies and traits of each character, it becomes more than just a show about outer space. It’s about adventure and friendship, and it’s impossible not to get attached to the characters. It is funny, creative, and without a dull moment. Join the crew of the Enterprise in their journey “to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no man has gone before.”