Tokyo Ghoul | Teen Ink

Tokyo Ghoul MAG

By A.Marcus DIAMOND, Landing, New Jersey
A.Marcus DIAMOND, Landing, New Jersey

"Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same."
-Emily Bronte

"A shadow is the most loyal friend."
-Amanda Marcus

If you are looking for a good anime with a bit of blood, gore, and drama all mixed together, Tokyo Ghoul from Funimation (“You should be watching!”), is the one for you.

Based off of the manga series by Sui Ishida, the animated show (2 seasons with a third on the way) is considered a dark fantasy series.  When a young human boy becomes a thing of legend, he has to figure out how he fits into the world.  Is he really a ghoul?  No, and the new ghouls he meets are quick to tell him so.  Is he really human anymore?  His desire to eat flesh seems to point to no as well.

Watching the series was actually something I had avoided because of how bloody I had heard it was (which to some extent it is), but when I was offered the first manga volume, I figured I’d try the show too!  It wasn’t nearly as bad as I thought it would be, sticks to the original plot, and includes some relatable issues in (which I know is hard to believe based on the fact that the series is about murderous, flesh-eating monsters and not humans in the age range of about 12 to 30).  I was pleasantly surprised.

One of my favorite parts was how each of the character had a characteristic that you (or at least I) want to explore more.  The main character has a problem figuring out where he stands in the world, which then connects with his relationships with others, which then brings out another interesting quality in another character that you (again, or at least I) want to explore.  The characters are interesting and relatable even if they aren’t all human, which I am sure was difficult to ensure.

Tokyo Ghoul can be found for sale on Amazon for a reasonable price.  Although I loved Tokyo Ghoul, there are some disturbing scenes, so I do not recommend it for younger viewers or people who are a bit squeamish, but I thoroughly enjoyed watching both seasons and look forward to the next one (which has been confirmed for one of the upcoming 2016 manga season).  So, if you are either looking for something a bit out of your comfort zone or are looking for some dark fantasy, I suggest you go for Tokyo Ghoul!

Kumori BRONZE said...
on Nov. 23 2015 at 11:07 am
Kumori BRONZE, New Britain, Connecticut

"I don't think I can I know I can."

Tokyo Ghoul is life!