Fruits Basket | Teen Ink

Fruits Basket

By Sparkle1pops PLATINUM, Colorado Springs, Colorado
Sparkle1pops PLATINUM, Colorado Springs, Colorado

"No great artist ever sees things as they really are. If he did, he would cease to be an artist."
- Oscar Wilde

Fruits Basket is an anime revolving around the Somas, a family cursed with a peculiar enchantment. The nature of their curse is that when a member of the family is hugged by someone of the opposite sex or are thrust under conditions of extreme pressure, they each transform into a specific animal from the Chinese Zodiac. The protagonist of the show, Tohru Honda, is a young orphaned girl trying to get by on her own. She is 16 years old, and her mother recently died leaving her homeless and living secretly in a tent on the Soma family property, at the beginning of the series. Once Tohru’s new “home” is discovered by two of the Somas: Yuki (whose zodiac animal is the rat), and Shigure (whose zodiac animal is the dog), she becomes friends with the Somas and is welcomed into their home since she has no place to live. Soon after moving in with a part of the family Tohru unveils the family’s secret curse, after bumping into Kyo Sohma (whose zodiac animal is the cat) and therefore sparking his transformation. Tohru becomes close friends with a few of the Somas and unravels the mysteries of the others, while living in the house with Shigure, Yuki, and Kyo. Tohru starts to think of Yuki and Kyo as brothers since they all attend the same school, and are each other's constant companions; however, the boys battle over stronger feelings for Tohru. This is a lighthearted anime that promises loads of laughs, but also has a sweet, heartwarming side to it. No matter who the viewer is, it is certain that they will gain something from this anime since it has so many valuable lessons about life to teach us all.