Empire | Teen Ink

Empire

April 17, 2015
By kaaaay BRONZE, Houstom, Texas
kaaaay BRONZE, Houstom, Texas
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

“Drip drop, drip drippity drop”. I probably have most of y’all’s attention now. Empire has become a very popular show. According to Weekly Entertainment “ Empire premiered to 9.8 million viewers and a 3.7 rating among adults 18-49. That’s Fox’s highest-rated series debut in three years (since 2012’s Touch). Empire ranks as the top-rated show in the demo ”. Season one, which has 12 episodes, shows the struggle of Lucious Lyon who is the CEO  of Empire Entertainment. He has always had an unchallenged life but that soon comes to end with a medical diagnosis. He has to choose, out of his three sons, who will take over the company. Hakeem who is his favorite, is a gifted musician but values fame over hard work. Jamal who is talented, and humble but gay. This embarasses his father. Last but not least, Andre who is business-minded but lacks charisma. They all have good and bad qualities. On top of all of this, his ex-wife, Cookie, returns. This just complicates this more as she says that he owes her for taking the fall of the drug-running that financed his early career. As you can tell from just this small description that this show is filled with drama. Many people love  the show that they talk about one episode for a whole week at times. After the two hour series premiere all the fans are waiting on season two anxiously.
Obviously there are people who don’t like Empire. My Journalism teacher, Mr. Johnson doesn’t like the show, because he says for people who aren’t always around black people, that is the only impression that they have of them. T.V. makes them look uneducated and ghetto. It’s a stereotype that is only being made worse by television. In the end it’s your decision.