Once Upon a Time: Season 4 | Teen Ink

Once Upon a Time: Season 4

By ElizabethWG BRONZE, Mars, Pennsylvania
ElizabethWG BRONZE, Mars, Pennsylvania

Have you ever wanted to find a GOOD TV show to watch? The truth is we all have, because there tends to be no interesting shows on TV besides Once Upon a Time. Though there may have been some confusing things about the latest season that frustrated you, Season 4 was still a very good Season with some amazing themes and morals that can be seen, if you take a closer look. If you haven't seen this Season yet, don't be afraid to jump in and feast your anxiety, because it's worth it!

This twist on Fairy Tales will take you on a crazy, exciting roller coaster ride that has continued through all four seasons. Every episode reveals a little more of the complicated plot, which in turn weaves another unexpected detail into the big picture. Some solutions are sweet and satisfactory, while others pierce your soul, leaving you desperate for answers. Deservingly, Once Upon a Time is one of the most watched TV shows on the air!
There were, though, a few things that I didn't like about it. Too many minor plots or problems that occurred in one episode turned out to have little significance in the overall storyline. I was surprised and disappointed by this, and felt that the writers could've done better.

There were also things I loved about this season. What happened between Belle and Mr. Gold was heart breaking, but the message it conveyed was excellent. Mr. Gold had had the choice between loving Belle and loving his power when he married her. But sadly, he couldn't let go of it. His power, or more precisely his control, was what made him the Dark One, and if he gave it up, he would have felt weak and exposed. If he had chosen Belle, she would have helped him be strong - he could have used his power as a way to protect others and defeat despicable foes. His source of strength would have been love. Unfortunately, he resisted giving up his control over himself and tried to use his power in an attempt to have both. In doing this, he had chosen power over love. By the time Belle confronted him, caught in the act, it was too late; he was set in his ways.
Though only fit for a half season, the Frozen component to Once Upon a Time was a nice addition to Storybrooke – AND to the movie, explaining where Elsa got her snow powers. The writers specify that, instead of Elsa, her Aunt, Ingrid, is the true Snow Queen described in Hans Christian Andersen's story. Though Ingrid is the Snow Queen, she isn't thoroughly evil. Unlike Mr.Gold, instead of chilling her already frozen heart, it does quite the opposite -- forgiveness shines into her soul, cracking and shattering the layers of ice.

One thing that troubled me about this season was how the Authors handled the troubles between Regina, Robin Hood, and Marian. I felt that those troubles were altogether complicated, wrong, and unnecessary. When Marian suddenly came back to life at the end of season three, it was a major complication! Understandably, Regina and Robin Hood were heartbroken. But, the writers go too far when they condone and accept the mistake made by the two lovers. One of the main arguments Robin Hood makes for his bad decision was that he should choose what he feels just because it is “true love”. Because it is true love, it will help guide his son and show him what is honorable. How will this help his son; it would only show him that everything was permissible for him if he was true to his feelings. What would really show him true love is if Robin Hood decided to sacrifice his longings and stick to his commitment with Marian. This action is what what is truly honorable.

All being said, Once Upon a Time: Season 4 was a good, honorable season that was still faithful to the character of the Seasons before it. Though it had a few issues, it was still a very enjoyable season with good, insightful themes of love, forgiveness, and ultimately honor, portrayed throughout its amazing plot.