Lost | Teen Ink

Lost MAG

By Stephanie Habersaat BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey
Stephanie Habersaat BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey

When it first premiered four years ago, this “Cast Away” meets “Lord of the Flies” television drama made for hot morning-after discussions. Six seasons later, having endured catastrophe, death, time travel, and of course, the revelation of the “Others,” the incomprehensible yet lovable cast of “Lost” still manages to leave viewers hungry for more.

One would think that producers Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse had reached the limit of enthralling themes, but with every twist and turn on the path to the series finale, they continue to raise the bar for suspenseful television.

What makes for the show's immense success? Is it the thrilling revelations of each character's troubled past, the unavoidable love triangle between ex-convict Kate, surgeon Jack, and former conman Sawyer, or the discoveries that unveil mysteriously magical characteristics of the island? The answer depends on whom you ask.

For those fans who have religiously watched the show since its premiere, life without “Lost” is anticipated to be life without color. Still, it can be ­assumed from his previous work that Lindelof has an ­untouchable finale that will leave viewers feeling too overwhelmed to even acknowledge the show's end.

While it will inevitably be an emotional good-bye, most fans would agree that “Lost” can't go on forever. It has captured many hearts, but also led viewers on an intense path that ­required constant, outrageous plot reinventions. Although this formula worked like a charm for many seasons, it would eventually lead to a far more convoluted story than even the most thoughtful viewers could manage.

Season six of “Lost” will be difficult to follow, but for those who enjoy the show's complexity, this final season will be the ultimate cherry on top.