My So-Called Life | Teen Ink

My So-Called Life MAG

There is a new television drama on Thursday nights called My So-Called Life thatis deprived of the good ratings it deserves. It is a very fresh and originaltelevision show with a fine cast who create true-to-life situations thatteenagers really confront.

Unlike other teenage dramas with artificial,one-dimensional characters, My So-Called Life deals with issues in a moresensitive way. It confronts topics like alcoholism, parents, low self-esteem,bisexuality, and rumors. The show portrays even the simplest ideas in a greater,metaphorical fashion.

The protagonist is Angela Chase, played by thetalented Claire Danes (who also stars in the movie Little Women). Angela is anintrospective 15-year-old who deals with her own problems and reveals herthoughtful opinions in carefully constructed voice-overs heard throughout theshow. She is an observant witness of the goings-on of people with whom she isassociated.

One of the most impressive aspects of My So-Called Life is howthe show portrays kids as diverse and unique. Also the way Angela interacts isvery realistic. For example, one of the episodes is about Angela reuniting withher estranged friend, Sharon (Devon Odessa). The way she handles the drinkingproblem of her wild best friend Rayanne (A.J. Langer) further demonstrates thereality of moral dilemmas involving friends. They can be likable in one scene andselfish in the next, which is what makes it so genuine.

My So-Called Lifeis unfortunately in danger of being canceled because of low ratings. It's a shamesince it is such a worthwhile show. I recommend it to anyone. It is too excellentto miss. My So-Called Life is as entertaining and funny as it isthought-provoking and honest