Re:Mind | Teen Ink

Re:Mind MAG

By mayanelson GOLD, Brooklyn, New York
mayanelson GOLD, Brooklyn, New York

You open your eyes, only to find that everything is pitch black. You quickly remove the red bag covering your head to reveal 10 of your classmates sitting at a dining table with their feet locked to the floor. You are in the same position as them. The show “Re:Mind” opens just as mysteriously as that; the explanation to what happened to these girls and why is slowly revealed through the twisting and ever-changing roller coaster of a plot. “Re:Mind” is a Japanese psychological thriller that brilliantly mixes the complex relationships of teenagers with a thrilling mystery.

On graduation day, 11 girls awaken to find they have been kidnapped and locked to a dining room table. The room the girls are in is filled with objects or photos that force them to remember events of the past, each story connecting more to the mystery of their thought-to-be disappeared friend, Miho. However, each time they remember an event, one of the girls disappears – until only one is left. Throughout the mini-series’ 13 episodes, answers to the mystery are revealed. The girls are played by the members of J-Pop (Japanese pop music) group Hiragana Keyakizaka46.

The brilliant cinematography and music add to the suspense and mystery of the show. It transports you to the room and ties the mystery together. The attention to the girls’ faces and expressions makes the show feel real; you can truly see the horror in their eyes. The eerie music adds to the thrilling suspense, leaving you on the edge of your seat.

The show has an important underlying message about friendship and bullying. It explores the drastic consequences of bullying, as shown with Miho’s character. The bond the girls make throughout episodes illuminates how friendship and cooperation can help free them from the room they are trapped in. The show really captures the lives of these girls; their stories both add to the mystery, and contribute to the show’s themes.

“Re:Mind” is an engaging show that transports viewers into a well-crafted mystery and the drama of high school. Prepare to experience a thrilling roller coaster ride filled with plot twists and turns.