Blue Coupe by Twin Peaks | Teen Ink

Blue Coupe by Twin Peaks MAG

October 13, 2017
By sydbock16 BRONZE, Chicago, Illinois
sydbock16 BRONZE, Chicago, Illinois
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Growing up in an environment frequently accompanied by the vibrations of rock-and-roll, I have developed a rather finicky taste in music. Up until I was about 14 years old (and quite pretentious), I was positive that there was no “good” modern rock and roll bands. I would listen to The Rolling Stones’ “Tattoo You” and Led Zeppelin’s “Led Zeppelin IV,” absolutely certain that musical pieces such as these would be the only lasting remnants of the rock-and-roll genre. After discovering the Chicago-based garage rock band Twin Peaks, however, my previous thoughts regarding the state of rock and roll were proven wrong.
With two skilled guitarists, an excellent pianist, a sublime bassist, a dexterous drummer, and solid vocals, Twin Peaks’ music is painted with the residue of 1960s rock and roll and uplifted by the influences of new-age independent music.
In June of this year, Twin Peaks announced their newest musical series, “Sweet ’17,” and released two new songs each month, ending this month. Each song that has dropped thus far demonstrates the band’s eagerness to experiment with different musical instruments and venture into collaboration with other bands.
The release titled “Blue Coupe” impressed fans – myself included – with its nostalgic lyrics and tender melodies.  The song begins with a sweet piano lick before ascending into a softer beat that trails to the back of the song, but is still perfectly effective in delivering a sort of pillow for the listener to sink into. The smoothness of bassist Jack “JD” Dolan’s voice further pushes a distinct feeling of wistfulness onto the listener – his melodic crooning easily bewitches you, and, soon enough, you will find your head swaying along with the minimalistic drum beat. Furthering the warmth of “Blue Coupe,” drummer Connor Brodner utilizes the softness of his symbols and creates a sound like rain falling on cement. 
Perhaps the most beautiful element of this song, the fragmented-guitar riffs, could easily go unnoticed by the listener. Once picked up, however, the sound of the guitar slowly grows closer, and it is an incredibly pleasant noise that offers a enigmatic state of ease to the listener. Although the guitar is exceptionally used throughout “Blue Coupe,” the smoothness of JD’s baseline is positively the most influential factor of the melody;  JD creates distinct vibrations of strength – something for his listener to lean on.
Although it is bittersweet that Twin Peak’s “Sweet ’17” series is ending, I am excited to see what element of music this Chicago-based band will experiment with next; I look forward to future releases. 


The author's comments:

Twin Peaks has been my favorite band since 2014; I want everyone to experience their neat sound.