Soul2Soul: The World Tour • Tim McGraw and Faith Hill | Teen Ink

Soul2Soul: The World Tour • Tim McGraw and Faith Hill MAG

By Daniellezerbo SILVER, Wyckoff, New Jersey
Daniellezerbo SILVER, Wyckoff, New Jersey

Before 1996, Tim McGraw and Faith Hill were two very distinct artists, only connected by the country music genre. However, when they married in 1996, they brought their talents together to form an iconic duo that has amazed fans with countless duets and tours.

McGraw is a widely successful singer who has been releasing hit songs and albums since the early ’90s. His most loved songs include “Live Like You Were Dying” and “Humble and Kind.” He has released 14 albums, making him one of the most celebrated country artists of all time.

Hill is another iconic country performer who has had countless hits on her seven studio albums, including “Breathe” and “This Kiss.” Hill has also been releasing music since the early ’90s, She has received six Grammy awards so far in her career.

Together, these two singers have proven to be both successful and impressive, earning them the title of “music royalty” from Rolling Stone and countless other publications.

McGraw and Hill have performed in three tours together since their marriage: Soul2Soul Tour (2000), Soul2Soul II Tour (2006), and Soul2Soul: The World Tour (2017). The tours are a must-see for fans because of the mix of hit singles and duets that the couple performs. Additionally, the chemistry between the artists is special to watch and adds another dimension to the tour that makes it a remarkable experience.

In any concert, the song choice is extremely important. Ideally, artists choose songs that both appeal to the audience and are well-known. This can be difficult when it’s just one artist. However, when there are two, it makes it that much more difficult to keep the interest of both fans  groups throughout the concert. In their Soul2Soul World Tour, Hill and McGraw managed to choose not only the ideal songs, but a perfect combination of duets and solos in the right order throughout the show. They opened with a cover of the duet by Aretha Franklin and George Michael, “I Knew You Were Waiting for Me.” The upbeat and fun performance set the tone for the rest of the concert.

After the opener, the two started switching on and off and performed some of their own hits for the next set. Hill performed four of her chart-toppers, including “This Kiss” and “Breathe.” While these songs are relatively old, they are among her most popular hits. The audience gave her performance a standing ovation.

McGraw then sang four of his most recognized tunes, including “Shotgun Rider” and “Live Like You Were Dying.” The latter was one of the highlights of the night. The audience erupted in cheers when he sang the iconic lyrics, “I went skydiving, I went Rocky Mountain climbing, I went 2.7 seconds on a bull named Fuman­chu.”

For the conclusion of the concert, the two artists came together and sang their most recent duet, “Speak to a Girl.” This is their most popular duet to date and was a great way to wrap up the concert. Overall, the song choices helped to make this concert special for the audience because fans of all ages could recognize and sing along to many.

In addition, what made Soul2Soul so great was the chemistry and evident love between Faith Hill and Tim McGraw. Thousands of concerts take place each year, and hundreds of country concerts. Each artist strives to have an element that drives people to buy tickets. The chemistry between McGraw and Hill is what makes people “need” to see their concerts. Throughout the night, the pair constantly complimented each other and “bowed down” to the one another’s talent. This all led up to the iconic encore that had the audience in awe. For the encore, the two sang “I Need You” on two mirrored chairs that elevated over the audience. The song was slower than the rest, but it featured intimate lyrics like, “You’re the love that rescues me/When the cold winds rage/And it’s so amazing.” The two sealed their final song with a kiss that caused the crowd to erupt in cheers. The two take full advantage of their enviable relationship in their live performances. In their last remarks of the concert, they announced that they are making a joint album together. It is set for release this fall.

In conclusion, the Soul2Soul concert was definitely one to remember. McGraw and Hill made the perfect lineup of songs. There may be concerts with better costuming, stage decorations, or even better vocals. But there will never be another duo that can emulate the love and intimacy that McGraw and Hill share. Together, they are a wildly popular and successful duo that completely transformed the expectations of country music concerts for generations to come.