The Other Side Of The Mirror | Teen Ink

The Other Side Of The Mirror MAG

By Anonymous

   The latest from this veteran singer/songwriter is perhaps her best solo work since making a name for herself nine years ago with her multi-platinum "Bella Donna." Since that time, Nicks has produced other big selling albums, which include the underrated "Wild Heart," and 1985's dubious "Rock a Little." The latter proved to be a creative lapse in Stevie's career. Fortunately, her new album is much more inviting.

"The Other Side of The Mirror" is the lyrical story of Nicks' maintenance of two incredible careers: her own, and her's as the lead attraction in the 70's supergroup Fleetwood Mac. However, in spite of a certain degree of excellence floating to the surface on the new album, Stevie fails to inspire the enchanting, ethereal vocals evident on such Mac/Nicks classics like "Dreams," "Sara," and "Leather and Lace." Only "Rooms on Fire"(her current hit), and "Ooh My Love" and "Whole Lotta Trouble" have that familiar, bewitching warble. Stevie is, however, at her best lyrically in the songs "Fire Burning," "Ghosts," and "Doing The Best I Can." Although convincing ballads are now out of Nicks' reach, she is wonderfully disarming in "Alice" and "Cry Wolf," but her duet with Bruce Hornsby in "Two Kinds of Love" falls completely flat and represents the worst this LP has to offer.

Still, regardless of its vocal flaws, "The Other Side..." is a must for all Stevie Nicks fans, and thankfully depicts some of her most alluring work to date. n