Our Time In Eden | Teen Ink

Our Time In Eden MAG

By Anonymous

   10,000 Maniacs - "Our Time in Eden"

"Our Time in Eden" is definitely one of the best compact discs I have ever heard. If you are in the mood to listen to relaxing music during dinner or before falling asleep, 10,000 Maniacs is a good choice.

The talented, alternative group consists of lead singer Natalie Merchant; guitarist Rob Buck; pianist Dennis Drew; bass guitarist Steve Gustafson; and percussionist Jerome Augustyniak. 10,000 Maniacs has appeared on "Saturday Night Live," and has released numerous albums such as "In My Tribe" and "Blindman's Zoo."

"Our Time in Eden" focuses mainly on life in general. One does not hear about sex, drugs, or "relationships gone sour" in their music. They talk about discovering oneself and practicing morals. These themes are expressed in the song "These are theDays." This song contains lyrics like: "These are the days you'll remember. Never before and never since I promise will the whole world be warm and this. And as you feel it, you'll know it's true that you are blessed and lucky. It's true that you are touched by something that will grow and bloom in you."

This album rates a "10" because it meets all the standards of a "great album: " good sound quality, good rhythm, and no explicit lyrics. Be on the lookout for 10,000 Maniacs. Who knows maybe they will be in your town. For more information on upcoming concerts, write to: Friends of 10,000 Maniacs, 34 Canterberry Street, New Bedford, MA 02746. n

Review by M. M., Norwalk, CT