Get Up Kids - On a Wire | Teen Ink

Get Up Kids - On a Wire MAG

By Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York
Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York

The Get Up Kids are synonymous with the current emo scene. The band's previousfull-length release, "Something to Write Home About," became amust-have album representing the current emo style for countless music fans andaspiring bands. For their newest release, "On a Wire," the Get Up Kidschose to walk a fine line, trading in fast-paced songs and fuzzy electric guitarsfor dramatic, acoustic stylings.

"On a Wire" is brought to lifewith its first track and single, "Overdue," which is a goodrepresentation of the album as it incorporates introspective lyrics andmelancholy acoustic guitar. The theme of waiting - perhaps for a certain specialsomeone, or a long-lost friend - is woven throughout the disc.

Will oldGet Up Kids fans react kindly to "On a Wire"? I hope so. The ability toevolve indicates a depth and complexity that will serve the band well in thefuture. It would be a great injustice to the Get Up Kids to compare this album to"Something to Write Home About." While different in certain stylisticaspects, both albums are well-crafted, fun to listen to, and true to the fans whofill the clubs everywhere they play.

It's safe to say that the Get UpKids put their style and popularity on the line with "On a Wire." Thischoice will definitely serve the band and emo scene well, by helping fans realizethat change isn't necessarily a bad thing.