Wicked Soundtrack | Teen Ink

Wicked Soundtrack MAG

By Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York
Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York

A friend introduced me to the hit Broadway musical "Wicked" and I immediately fell in love with its soundtrack. The show describes the life and times of the Wizard of Oz's Wicked Witch of the West. Even if one is unfamiliar with the story, the musical talents of Idina Menzel and Kristin Chenoweth are exciting and powerful enough to hook anyone.

"No One Mourns the Wicked" starts the album with a bang! It introduces both the story and the emotional, yet humorous tone of the soundtrack. Glinda, the Good Witch, poses a question that hints at what's to come: "Are people born wicked? Or do they have wickedness thrust upon them?"

"Dear Old Shiz" sways from the pop-like tunes on the rest of the CD and uses an arrangement reminiscent of choral pieces. Here we go back to when Glinda and Elphaba, the Wicked Witch, were best friends. One of the more up-tempo pieces, "Popular," really shows off the versatility of Chenoweth's voice. The round style backups on top of the crystal-clear vocals and humorous lyrics make for a very entertaining song.

Probably the highlight of the album, "Defying Gravity" is the turning point of the soundtrack; the lighthearted lyrics become more emotional and powerful. The energy level is incredible and gives the listener a real rush. Elphaba announces that she will try defying gravity and cries, "So if you care to find me, look to the Western sky! As someone told me lately, 'Everyone deserves the chance to fly!"'

"For Good," the stunning finale where the former best friends tell each other that because they knew one another they have been changed for good, is truly touching as they go their separate ways.

"Wicked" has something for everyone. Humor, fantastic music and a touching story are in every song. This soundtrack will leave you dying to see the musical. In the end, "Wicked" will change the listener "For Good."

i love this so much!

on Mar. 8 2013 at 3:46 am
People deserve good life time and personal loans or sba loan will make it better. Because freedom is grounded on money state.

on Nov. 3 2012 at 10:18 am
ChobaniLuvinPenguin PLATINUM, Brooklyn, New York

"What makes the desert beautiful is that somewhere it hides a well."
― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, The Little Prince

I love Wicked, and having seen it and listened to the soundtrack years ago, your review has inspired me to listen to it again! Great review, you mentioned everything necessary to persuade readers to listen to the Wicked soundtrack! I would only suggest including awards and nominations in your review. :)

on Oct. 30 2011 at 3:48 pm
Rocinante SILVER, Wexford, Pennsylvania
Love it! Listening to Wicked right now haha :)

on May. 29 2011 at 7:58 pm
I know, I am the biggest Ozhead you'll ever meet. I can recite the musical backwards and forwards, know ever actor/actress to ever play all the roles and can compare and contrast their interpretation of each character. I have had many heated debates with other Ozheads/Wizomaniacs on the best actors and actresses. Want to take me on in a Wicked trivia game? Be prepared to lose.

on Sep. 1 2010 at 3:39 pm
WritingLoverForever PLATINUM, Bowling Green, Ohio

It's not about success; it's about significance.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.

I don't see how someone could not like Wicked. It's absolutely phenomenal. I have the entire soundtrack on my i-Pod, and I even went to see the show a few months ago. At the show, I bought a green T-shirt that said "Defying Gravity" on it as a souvenir. Yep, I am a die-hard fan of Wicked. I like your review of it; I think it'll reach out to a lot of people.

on May. 19 2010 at 3:44 pm
purplegurl12345 BRONZE, Rosemount, Minnesota
I absolutely love WICKED and anything to do with it! The music is so well composed and performed!

Everhart said...
on Apr. 29 2010 at 9:05 pm
Everhart, Boston, Massachusetts

"I am a fat girl, trapped in a normal girl's body."

I love this soundtrack. It's so haunting and touching... Stays with you forever.